Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hanukkah in school?? Thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My dds elementary school is doing a “holidays around the world” thing. Every class has a different one and it rotates by week. Hers is Israel/Hanukkah. Well she had a parent come in and teach the Driedle game. I think it was pretty inappropriate to teach something religious to kids without their parents permission, and I complained to the pronciple but haven’t heard back yet. Am I out of line here? Just seems like something we should’ve been informed of
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2017 at 6:12 PM
Replies (251-257):
Brujaoscura
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 7:04 PM

And the dreidel game is just plain fun.

Seriously, since they are teaching different religious/cultural things,it is okay. You ARE aware that Christianity has its beginning in the Jewish traditions and culture, right?

amnesiacaj
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2017 at 3:50 PM

Gosh, I don't think I'd recognize a pronciple if I ever saw one...

Chinadoll1374
by Member on Dec. 12, 2017 at 10:10 PM

Is it possible that the school just wanted to expose the children to other cultures and religions, so they understand that different people act and believe different things during the holidays? Unless the teachers were making the children pray or worship, I would think that discussing other religions is not any different than teaching the children what countries eat or how they celebrate. I am a Christian and believe in God, but I understand that everyone does not share my beliefs and would not force someone to pray with me (although I would pray FOR them). Yet, what you are describing in your post is only a game that they happen to play during Hanukkah. However, if you feel that strongly about your child not participating in this project, you should speak with her teacher to make other arrangements for your daughter while the rest of the class continues the lesson. 

stepperbepper
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2017 at 10:12 PM
I don't see a problem with teaching kids about different religions and cultures.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 86 on Dec. 12, 2017 at 10:12 PM
Yes, you are out of line. I don't know a kid who did NOT learn the Driedle game in school.
elk571
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2017 at 11:15 PM
I don't see it as religious, it's a game. However, as long as they're all learning abt each religion I have no problems w/ it. It's not like they're requiring them to practice said religion, just trying to be inclusive; to me it's the same as learning about other countries or other languages
Anonymous
by Anonymous 87 on Dec. 13, 2017 at 3:57 PM
It's almost 2018 and we haven't parents complaining about their children LEARNING...😑
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)