Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They acted like I told them to kick a puppy and light themselves on fire!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My kids seriously had a meltdown when I said we are going to start going to church on sundays and that I want to sign them up for youth group. It was totally ridiculous! They are 12 and 14 for goodness sake! My son who is the oldest said I don’t want to be around a bunch of kids who are going to be sitting there talking about god and my 12 year old daughter said I’m ruining her social life because she likes to sleep over friends houses on weekends or have friends over and sunday church is just going to interfere. She actually cried! Wtf?!? I don’t even know what to do. They are so freaking ridiculous.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2017 at 9:01 PM
Replies (151-158):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 45 on Dec. 7, 2017 at 6:00 PM
Lol, I doubt it ever will but that’s a great way to move toward it.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Just let her. Religion needs to burn itself out.

Quoting Anonymous 45: You do realize that forcing them against their will, will cause to to be resentful and more than likely shun religion when they’re able to make the choice....?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Because they are minors and I get to make these decisions until they are 18. I really think they’d benefit from getting involved with a church and youth group that focuses on community.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Why don’t they get a choice?

AnnieGoolaheey
by Mrs. Annie Proffitt on Dec. 7, 2017 at 6:02 PM
LOL. Good luck with that.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I just think it would benefit them. No they’ve never gone.

Quoting luckythreemom: Why the sudden change? Why force them into religion? Why not encourage it. Have they been before?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 7, 2017 at 6:06 PM
Not completely, but it’s moving in the right direction!

Quoting Anonymous 45: Lol, I doubt it ever will but that’s a great way to move toward it.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Just let her. Religion needs to burn itself out.

Quoting Anonymous 45: You do realize that forcing them against their will, will cause to to be resentful and more than likely shun religion when they’re able to make the choice....?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Because they are minors and I get to make these decisions until they are 18. I really think they’d benefit from getting involved with a church and youth group that focuses on community.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Why don’t they get a choice?

libramami82
by on Dec. 7, 2017 at 7:01 PM
It can be challenging to ask pre-teen/teens to change their routine. I am glad you are trying to start a new devotion by attending church to seek a relationship with God. I have a 14 year old son and a 8 year old daughter, we started to go to church a few years ago and it was not a pretty sight at first. My husband didn’t want to go, so neither did my kids :( I felt angry and my controlling-self wanted to be a Dictator and get them all in church and demand them to be good Christians! HOWEVER that was not God’s plan… for the first time the Holy Spirit whispered to me “I want YOU to come to my house, hear what I want to tell you, set and be the example” I was in shock because, here I was thinking I was making the right decision for my family. So, the first few months I went by myself because I knew my heart needed change and renewal. He put it in my heart first.

I know your heart is in the right place, continue to listen to the Holy Spirit. I pray you continue to seek God so deeply that your kids can see the change, glow and love you demonstrate to them and to the lives you touch daily. Fast-forward to present date, my son and husband have a very deep relationship with each other and it fills my heart with joy, not only that but, my husband now assist the leaders with the Youth Ministry and my son attends every Sunday at 5pm (some days he may resist but we have to sit and talk to him to see what’s going on, but never having to force him) they attend man church every Wednesday too :) My daughter has loved the Children’s ministry and loves the coaches. Don’t give up, it takes time, the enemy will target and use the closest ones to you to keep you from God’s glory and keep you in darkness. Pray and ask God to soften your kids’ hearts, to unclutter their mind; do it day and night. I’m keeping you and your kids in my prayers!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 47 on Dec. 7, 2017 at 7:09 PM
Or you can go to church Friday or Saturday evening so you dont mess up their whole weekend?
hart57
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 7:11 PM
At that age I wouldn’t force religion. It’s going to back fire on you.

Could you conprise and go to a week night service?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 48 on Dec. 7, 2017 at 7:58 PM
That's kinda fucked up considering you're teaching them to be disrespectful.

Quoting Anonymous 1: That would be for any type of disrespect and causing a scene anywhere, not just church. It could be in the mall because a shirt isn’t the right color or whatever. I don’t take kindly to kids being disrespectful to their parents or any adult for that matter.

Quoting Anonymous 10: You are disrespecting them by forcing church down their throats you don't deserve respect

Quoting Anonymous 1: Thing is, my kids enjoy having phones, electronics and social lives. If they disrespect me and cause public scenes because they don’t want to do something, they’d lose all of that. It would be wake up, school, home, bed. For a very long time. I’d save money on my phone service because phones would be getting disconnected and locked up. If they didn’t apologize to me and everyone in the surrounding area for their blatant disrespect and immaturity, they could kiss drivers permits, sports and a great many other things good bye as well until they issued said apology. Your parents might have been cool with you being a downright disrespectful jerk and hell, you may lack the parenting skills most people have and allow your kids to rule your house. But not here.

Quoting H.j.K.l65482: I’d raise holy hell if I was forced to church. Drag me there? Promise I’ll make you regret it by causing a scene

Quoting Anonymous 11:

I would laugh at you if I was your kid and sit with my feet kicked up waving bye as you went to church.

Valentina327
by on Dec. 8, 2017 at 12:11 AM
If parents didn't demand certain behavior from their children we'd have a bunch of toothless grown ups from not ever being made to brush our teeth as kids, uneducated because we didn't want to go to school and no one made us and would all be 600 pounds from eating cake for breakfast.

That's what would happen if our parents didn't demand things of us and let us make our own decisions at 12.

Quoting Anonymous 15: Guide yes
Demanding that they go to church is not guiding it is mandatory presence

Quoting Valentina327: Parents are allowed to guide their children. This is nothing harmful that they're doing, and it will give them an exposure to decide what to follow as far as faith. They aren't adults at 12 and 14 so they don't get to make their own decisions.

No kid would ever go to church if their parents didn't press the issue. We're all inherently lazy when we're teens. When they're 18 they can make the choice to still go or not.

Quoting Anonymous 4:

You're ridiculous for acting like it's okay to suddenly force religion on them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)