Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Random laundry question: Do you wait until your load is washed and dried before starting the next?

Posted by   + Show Post

Or do you just keep washing? 

My wording is so shitty -  how do I explain:  There's  a load in the washer and one in the dryer. The washer stops first. Do you take the wet clothes out, put them in a basket and start washing a new load, while waiting for the load in the dryer to finish drying.  (oh that was painful I hope it is clearer) 

by on Dec. 7, 2017 at 11:02 AM
Replies (111-120):
redbottoms
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 7:21 AM
I usually wait for the dryer to finish then switch them over. I don't put wet clothes in a basket. I let them wait in the washer
bubbs0809
by Emerald Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 7:24 AM
My skills in this will always be lacking
The wait for the dryer is probably the easiest way that I get distracted and never finish laundry
Ever

Quoting Anonymous 34:

I understood the question.  You don't want to have a basket of wet laundry waiting to go in to the dryer while the dryer is drying another load and has not yet finished.  Easy enough.

There was an episode of Fraiser (?) I think years ago where Daphne was questioned about the laundry, and the order in which it was done.  She gave an entire digression about what loads to put in to the washer and dryer and what order to put them in for maximum efficiency.  I don't remember the episode (or the order she said).  I have always timed my laundry loads so that I have never had to wait for the dryer to be finished.

STVUstudent
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 7:28 AM

I wait until the load in the dryer is done, then I move the wet clothes to the dryer once the dry ones come out.  They only time I don't do this is if I am washing stuff that needs to hang dry, and I try to get all that in the same load.

Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Dec. 8, 2017 at 10:13 AM
I just do a load every day so I don’t have to do it all at once. There’s the one day a week I wash towels and bedding but regularly, just one load.

Quoting bubbs0809: How do you manage that? I have three waiting for me right now

Quoting Ted1242: I only ever have one load.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 35 on Dec. 8, 2017 at 10:31 AM

No, I do not. I wait for the load in the dryer to be done, then put the load that was in the washing machine in the dryer and a new load in the washing machine. There is no reason to take the wet clothes out and put them in a basket to start washing a new load of clothes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 36 on Dec. 8, 2017 at 10:39 AM
I let the load in the washer sit until the dryer quits and when the dryer is done I move the load in the washer to the dryer. I start the next load in the washer when I empty the dryer into the basket. I don't put wet clothes in a basket, they would build up too many loads and would sour before I could dry them all
Anonymous
by Anonymous 37 on Dec. 8, 2017 at 10:53 AM

My dryer takes 70 minutes because we dry on low heat.  My washer is usually done somewhere around the 50-55 minute mark. 

I usually keep things moving, but I wait for the dryer to stop, empty the dryer, load the dryer, start next load in wahser.

Somehow yesterday I opened the washer, opened the dryer, emptied the dryer, re-loaded the washer with dirty clothes.  I never took the wet stuff out of the washer.  When I realized this I had to pull the dirty clothes out from on top of the clean clothes, and re-wash the already clean clothes that I contaminated with another kids dirty clothes.  I felt incredibly stupid!!!  I had to tell my YDD to check for her sisters stuff in her laundry when she folds it today.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 38 on Dec. 8, 2017 at 10:56 AM
I take wet clothes out, to put them into the dryer. Otherwise they wait. But my dryer is always done first. Lol
bubbs0809
by Emerald Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 11:54 AM
I always say I’m going to do that
And then it never happens.

Quoting Ted1242: I just do a load every day so I don’t have to do it all at once. There’s the one day a week I wash towels and bedding but regularly, just one load.

Quoting bubbs0809: How do you manage that? I have three waiting for me right now

Quoting Ted1242: I only ever have one load.
ELKmountain.mom
by Peepers on Dec. 8, 2017 at 12:01 PM
If the washer stops first i wait for the dryer and then move everything at once and start a new wash load.
My normal wash cycle is pretty close to my day cycle so it’s not a big deal. Right now it’s bedding so that cycle is much longer but i will just wait for the washer and put bedding back on while the other finishes washing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)