Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you make your kids stay home just because?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
If I was hanging out with a friend a lot my mom would randomly say no when I asked to hang out with said friend. She offered no other reason other than because I’d hung out with her enough and “because I said so”.

I was 12-16 years old when she did this. I didn’t understand because she did drugs. She’d smoke crack in the bathroom and I spent all day and all night in my room. Only coming out for school, food, and to use the bathroom/shower. I still don’t get why she would randomly do that. She’s not really a controlling person outside of these incidents so it was always really out of character. It caused us to fight a LOT.

Do you ever just make your kids stay home because you said so?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2017 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Dec. 7, 2017 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, but not because I was smoking crack! I don't want DS at someone's house so much he makes a nuisance of himself. Over staying your welcome is rude and annoying.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 7, 2017 at 7:11 PM
Yes
Kiwismommy19
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 7:12 PM
No. I figure if the parents are tired of her being over there they'll tell their kid no when their kid asks for dd to come over. I've told dd no a couple times for the same reason.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 7, 2017 at 7:13 PM
Maybe she was afraid of being alone in the house.
ilovemykids323
by Emerald Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 7:14 PM

nope

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 7, 2017 at 7:14 PM
Same. But idk how much that works. Ds ends up getting on the game and I can hear his friends screaming through his headset. I try to keep ds down to the indoor voice but I wonder if his friends parents can hear him and think that he's annoying lol

Quoting Danesmommy1: Yes, but not because I was smoking crack! I don't want DS at someone's house so much he makes a nuisance of himself. Over staying your welcome is rude and annoying.
Creekie.
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 7:17 PM
Yes, there is no need to be over at someone else’s home that much. I also don’t want other kids at my house all the time. Not cause I enjoy crack, lol but because I’m a sane parent who doesn’t enjoy other kids in my house all the time and imagine others are the same.
Linz808
by Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this
My mom used to do that, say that we hung out enough amd should take a break. I thiunk my parents may have needed the break from me having a friend over but than again she would say take a break before we start not getting along.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 7, 2017 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I always have a reason, even if it’s just “because I said so.” Sometimes it isnt worth it getting into the reasons. I’m the parent; they don’t need justification.
Tracys2
by on Dec. 7, 2017 at 7:24 PM

I have for the same reason as PPs, because my kid would go over and into other kids' houses and it was getting to be too much (I never forbade playing outside).

I'd also do it if I didn't like my kid's friend, and I wanted to limit the time they spent together, but not forbid it altogether (maybe my reasons aren't very good? maybe this is the best way to keep my kid from rebelling?)

If my kid was always over with the friend and not doing her chores or homework

If I wanted to hang out with my kid occasionally (obviously not the case in the OP, but would be in mine)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)