Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do the DNA tests!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 97 Replies
That's what my brother is telling me.

My brother is getting all of us those Ancestry DNA tests--even my 9yo--for the holidays. I personally find these things so stupid. Like "It's all about ME ME ME! Selfie time! Check out my genetics! I finally know who I am!" I hate that. Like suddenly your identity is downsized to a FB post, like you identify with a culture or ethnicity or some identity politics because of your genetic makeup? Who does that?

But it's going to happen, I guess. I just don't care what my genetics are unless it's for medical purposes. My genetics don't affect my identity the way it does to him, I guess.

Have you done these DNA tests? What's your experience been?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 10, 2017 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 10, 2017 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn’t do one because of the potential risks that I’m not comfortable with.

But I see the value of knowing your ancestry. I don’t see it the same way you do.
hotspice58
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2017 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes! Found a first cousin no one knew about!! I love it. But not everyone does.
Ms_Smock
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2017 at 9:49 PM
Same

Quoting Anonymous 2: I wouldn’t do one because of the potential risks that I’m not comfortable with.

But I see the value of knowing your ancestry. I don’t see it the same way you do.
PinkButterfly66
by Diamond Member on Dec. 10, 2017 at 9:50 PM
3 moms liked this

If you read the fine print, you'll find that the company owns your dna after they map it.   I'm really not comfortable with that.

Spam72
by Emerald Member on Dec. 10, 2017 at 9:51 PM
I bought a couple kids for relatives that wanted them but I don’t see the point in everyone getting one.
onethentwins
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2017 at 9:53 PM

I was born in England and can trace my family back for generations so I know I'm 100% English. 100% English means that you'll have blood from the Vikings, the Romans and the Normans as well as some Celts. So no, I'm good. I did however buy one for my son that I gave up for adoption because he doesn't know his heritage from his birth father's side. I initially didn't think he'd want to do it because he's a conspiracy theorist but he does so I glad for him. 

kikibix
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2017 at 9:53 PM

I know my family tree going back several generations on both side. If there are some extra hidden surprises I don’t need or want to know.  

redheadtmk
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2017 at 9:54 PM

Just because you get your DNA done doesnt mean you have to post of Facebook about it. Or share with anyone in anyway for that matter. I think its fascinating to see your genetic make up. I know lots of people who have been surprised and connected with family they never met before. Unless there is a dark secret that someone has kept from you, it can only be an interesting adventure. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 10, 2017 at 10:00 PM
It’s ok, the government already has everyones.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

If you read the fine print, you'll find that the company owns your dna after they map it.   I'm really not comfortable with that.

Saphira1207
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2017 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

You're brother is an idiot.

Once you sign the papers, they have all rights to your DNA and everything it tells them about you and your family. (It's in the fine print.  You should read it)

And I'm not talking about historical figures, I'm talking genetics.  they can sell it to whomever they want and those people (often insurance agencies and doctors) will use the information to decide if they want to take care of you and/or your family.

And I keep saying family because literally 50% of the DNA you sell to them is also shared by your parents, siblings, kids, and a portion of it is also shared by aunts, uncles, cousins etc.  So once you sell them your DNA you're also told them all about all the other people on your family.

And the "results" could just as easily be obtained by doing a basic search of your families lineage.  There are only a handful of groups who have genetic markers.  Eskimos, Native Americans, Jews, Blacks and Mongols are the biggest ones.  But if your lineage can be traced back to Eastern Europe .... you're white and they can't tell the difference between a white from Germany and a white from Iceland.  Anytime they try to claim differently it's just bogus crap made up to keep people from realizing that they're pulling the wool over your eyes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)