Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's difficult to find other women who share my interests.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 88 Replies
1 mom liked this

I easily find women who enjoy reading. But the ladies I know like romance and such. I prefer different types of history, James Rollins' Sigma series and little sci-fi. My preferences in tv and movies tend to differ from that of other women also. I don't like rom-coms at all. I like action, sci-fi and history. Everyone I know who shares my interests are men and I try to avoid primarily interacting with men because I don't think that would reflect well on me as a married woman. However, sometimes I do read or watch something that is thought provoking or very interesting to me and I'd like to pick someone else's brain about it. My husband likes some of the things I do and we can discuss some of those things. However, he doesn't read and history doesn't particularly interest him. So, I'm often left having been intellectually stimulated and no means by which to expand on it. Anyone else have a similar challenge?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 11, 2017 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MonarchMom22
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2017 at 4:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Have you tried your local library?  Outs hosts lots of programs for reading groups on history, sci-fi, news, etc. and also has lectures and discussions.  Since it is a public event you can meet new people that may share interests.

MissHavisham
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2017 at 4:43 PM

I never like the same movies and books as my friends. I have other things to talk about. I'm sure there is a local group or something your could join. I'm not a sci fi fan and I feel like the only one. lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 11, 2017 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this
You can call my DH. He was a history major for undergrad. Bonus points if you're willing to go sailing with him regularly in the summer 😂
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Dec. 11, 2017 at 4:45 PM
4 moms liked this
Before I got hooked on romance, I was more into sci-fi and fantasy. Frank Herbert's Dune is my all time favorite book. Orson Scott Card and Isaac Asimov are also favorites.

I don't really think you're as unique as you think you are and I have to giggle as you lament your lack of intellectual stimulation.
Damn_Pixi
by Morgie on Dec. 11, 2017 at 4:45 PM

No I'm not similarly challenged, because it doesn't bother me to have male friends.   Honestly if I gave a fuck about avoiding being around primarily men, I wouldn't be able to keep my job. (3 women in the entire building).  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 11, 2017 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Google meet up groups.  I love history and I like almost every kind of movie.  Do you have other interests as well?  Cooking, football, baseball, sewing, hiking, swimming?  I think expecting to fine women who like EXACTLY what you do isn't any easier than finding a husband that likes EXACTLY what you do.

For instance, I am a huge Game of Thrones fan, and my friends kept bugging me to watch "This is Us"  I finally did, and who knew, I really, really liked it!  Same thing you can introduce people to what you like as far as books or movies, and them the same, you might be shocked at what you find.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 11, 2017 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this
This.

Quoting Danesmommy1: Before I got hooked on romance, I was more into sci-fi and fantasy. Frank Herbert's Dune is my all time favorite book. Orson Scott Card and Isaac Asimov are also favorites.

I don't really think you're as unique as you think you are and I have to giggle as you lament your lack of intellectual stimulation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 11, 2017 at 4:58 PM
Join a book club
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 11, 2017 at 4:58 PM

I think it has to do with the area in which I live. Not a small town, but not really a bustling city with a wide variety of people either. Very much a southern city where all the women (that I know) are watching the Bachelor and monogramming every possession they own. They like romance, Lula Roe, and fad diets.

Quoting Danesmommy1: Before I got hooked on romance, I was more into sci-fi and fantasy. Frank Herbert's Dune is my all time favorite book. Orson Scott Card and Isaac Asimov are also favorites. I don't really think you're as unique as you think you are and I have to giggle as you lament your lack of intellectual stimulation.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 11, 2017 at 4:59 PM

I've never had a problem finding other females who enjoy sci-fi as much as I do. 

Maybe it's just where you live. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)