Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CPS was called-sigh-

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies

We share a home [with someone we trust].SO and I have the upstairs living space and two bedrooms. One is DS's and one is ours. 

So, last week I had a closing shift at my job and SO was on his way home from work when there was a slight incident. (6:30pm) Room mate changed the alarm batteries because they were getting low and DS didn't realize what was going on. There was definitely a lapse in communication. 

Edited to update: Sorry, let me clarify. Room mate changing the batteries caused the alarm to go off and it's very loud. Because it's both the home alarm and fire alarm...well, I assume many of you have heard how loud a home alarm is. More like sirens. 

DS panicked and called his dad, understandably. (Edited to add: Understandably meaning because I can semi-understand DS panicking a little and I can at least see why he might reach out to his dad? He reacts accordingly and freaks out with him.)  The problem is, his dad is supervised custody only, for good reason. And he's got issues. So instead of calming him he got him even more worked up and called the police. 

Police came, saw that someone was indeed here (ex is out of state and has no idea about the living situation because DS barely talks to him.) heard out the situation and understood that it was a misunderstanding. 

Ex who has serious...little man syndrome so to speak, tried to cuss out SO but SO was very calm and assured him that he was there, taking care of his son. Nothing to worry about and it was dropped. I explained to SO that with the way ex probably took that as a jab-my family agreed. Ex most likely took it more like "I'M taking care of your son, where are you in all of this?" (Which was not at all how SO is.) 

It all smoothed over, or so we thought-until DS came home and reported that CPS paid him a visit at school. I talked to them and I scheduled a talk with them about the 'allegations'. 

For the most part I'm not worried because DS is very loved and taken care of. I'm sure they already witnessed as much during their visit yesterday. Well dressed, groomed, hair is kept cut, etc.(She was very warm with me when we spoke on the phone.) They'll see he lives well, has his own room, own bed, desk, etc. He doesn't have absences. He's only been late to school once when he missed the bus and I took him. Our home is kept sanitary and happy. We're drug-free, etc. 

However, I'm really a bit stressed because of the horror stories I've heard, probably mostly here on CM and I don't know what is true, what isn't etc. 

Also they asked him about when he last went to the doctor and DS didn't remember. He went before school for vaccinations and the usual check up that comes with any visit. Not sure if they'll imply that he doesn't go to the doctor enough? He's healthy and nothing has ever come up in any of those visits. 

Should I be worried about that? What would be any kind of cause for concern. I doubt she would be nice to me the way she has been if there was anything wrong with DS when she checked in with him. She'd be annoyed with me wouldn't she? And treat me like some terrible parent...but she didn't. It just all really stresses me out. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2017 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Room2Breathe
by on Dec. 12, 2017 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this
You have police reports and the doctor's office will have record of his visits and health. You'll be fine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2017 at 3:45 PM

So DS freaked out over your room mate for what reason exactly?  I would be more annoyed at my kid than anything.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2017 at 3:47 PM
I don't get what the slight incident was?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 12, 2017 at 3:49 PM
Same.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I don't get what the slight incident was?
HoneyedMacabre
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2017 at 3:50 PM

I am not understanding why your son called his bio dad when there was someone there in the home with him?

mama_danetta
by She's so heavy on Dec. 12, 2017 at 3:53 PM
I would be calling an attorney if I were to have any dealings with CPS.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 12, 2017 at 3:54 PM
Yeah I don't get that. I'd be annoyed with him too like another mom said. How old is he? How would he think bio dad out of state could help? Was this maybe an attention thing?

Quoting HoneyedMacabre:

I am not understanding why your son called his bio dad when there was someone there in the home with him?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 12, 2017 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

This is always my advice when dealing with CPS and it was given to me straight from the attorney I work for. Lord knows what your ex told them. He could have said the roommate is molesting DS which will create an even bigger shit storm. 

Quoting mama_danetta: I would be calling an attorney if I were to have any dealings with CPS.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Dec. 12, 2017 at 3:59 PM
She will ask you to sign a medical release so that she can check with the doctor about ds's check up and vaccinations. Dont make yourself crazy worrying about something that wont happen. Just cooperate and the case will be closed
quinnsmom715
by Emerald Member on Dec. 12, 2017 at 4:00 PM

im confused.what exactly happened?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)