Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bad gift idea?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 93 Replies
1 mom liked this
My dad doesn't have much money right now. Last month he was talking about getting himself a toaster oven after the holidays,
I already had for him and gave it to him early because I was afraid he might go out and get one lol.
Anyway, he really doesn't want a gift but I can't not get him something. I know it sounds silly but I have gotten him a laundry basket and put some nice towels in it and several of his favorite snacks. I got him some toilet paper and trash bags as well as soap and laundry detergent, hopefully it will take the burden off his grocery bill a little. I'm also going to get him a small gift card to his favorite grocery store.
I guess what I'm asking is, is it too tacky or insulting?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2017 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2017 at 8:27 PM
2 moms liked this
If it was me I would make him a basket of necessities and give it to him before Christmas as a thinking of you, we know your going through a hard time gift. Then I'd get him a good amount on a gift card for the grocery store/Walmart gift card for Christmas.
Fat.Bottom.Girl
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2017 at 8:29 PM
I think it is fine. Meeting someone's needs goes far beyond giving gifts to impress.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2017 at 8:31 PM
I can't really afford too much myself, so the other items are more filler than anything. I just don't want him to be insulted or feel bad. I don't know I might go in another direction.

Quoting Anonymous 2: If it was me I would make him a basket of necessities and give it to him before Christmas as a thinking of you, we know your going through a hard time gift. Then I'd get him a good amount on a gift card for the grocery store/Walmart gift card for Christmas.
lowencope
by ❤️Lucy 💋 on Dec. 12, 2017 at 8:33 PM
6 moms liked this
You’re so sweet
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2017 at 8:33 PM
2 moms liked this
That's a great gift. A few years ago, when I was really struggling, someone got me a bunch of stuff like that, and I really, really appreciated it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2017 at 8:36 PM
Gotcha. I don't know if he'd be insulted or not. I think he may think it's sweet of you. If I was going thru a hard time I would appreciate that.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I can't really afford too much myself, so the other items are more filler than anything. I just don't want him to be insulted or feel bad. I don't know I might go in another direction.

Quoting Anonymous 2: If it was me I would make him a basket of necessities and give it to him before Christmas as a thinking of you, we know your going through a hard time gift. Then I'd get him a good amount on a gift card for the grocery store/Walmart gift card for Christmas.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 12, 2017 at 8:37 PM
2 moms liked this
I would like it, but I’m a practical person. I think it means more if you notice what someone needs instead of gifting something you like or a prepackaged gift set. Your dad knows you love him and I don’t think he will be insulted at all.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 12, 2017 at 8:37 PM
It's nice. The snacks are strange with the rest of it. Butt it's nice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 12, 2017 at 8:38 PM
I have to agree with fat.bottom.girl.

Quoting Fat.Bottom.Girl: I think it is fine. Meeting someone's needs goes far beyond giving gifts to impress.
onethentwins
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2017 at 8:39 PM
2 moms liked this

A nice thought but some of it is a little tacky as a gift. Instead why not give him the towels, the gift card and the snacks as gifts and say "while I was at the store I picked up a few necessities for you" and just hand those to him when you arrive. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)