Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'd you can't sit respectfully while we pray you can go to your away and have leftovers when we are through

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 275 Replies
2 moms liked this
We are a Christian family. We pray before dinner. My brother-in-law is an atheist. he lives with us for the time being. We opened our home to him because he was sharing a place with roommates and they didn't want to Renew the lease. He is saving up money to put a down payment on a condo.

We've had an issue with him several times that he will come to the dinner table and he doesn't want to pray. That's fine we don't force prayer on people. But since it's our house our table and our food we do expect him to sit respectfully and quietly while we pray. It's all of probably a minute. He will actually huff and puff or even just eat through our prayer. I find this to be very disrespectful. My husband has talked to him several times. Well tonight at dinner he was sighing loudly and obnoxiously and then yawning while my husband was praying. When my husband got through he looked at his brother and said that if he cannot sit respectfully through the prayer then we will call him to the table after we finish eating and he can pick through the leftovers. He didn't look too pleased about that but hopefully he can learn a little bit of respect. He doesn't have to believe what we believe but in our house he has to respect our beliefs
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2017 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 13, 2017 at 6:45 PM

Uh huh.

merrysgirls
by Lame on Dec. 13, 2017 at 6:45 PM
6 moms liked this
I’m a Christian but look, he isn’t your child. It’s annoying that you treat him like one and certainly you aren’t winning any hearts that way.

Lame.
Sacha102
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2017 at 6:46 PM
28 moms liked this

I’m atheist and I do agree with you. I see no problem sitting respectfully and quietly when someone is praying.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 13, 2017 at 6:47 PM
3 moms liked this
Stop cooking for him. You’re not forcing him to pray but respect your home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2017 at 6:47 PM
5 moms liked this
He's not our child. We shouldn't have to house and feed him. But we do. And all we ask is that he isn't disrespectful to our beliefs. We aren't demanding that he bow his head in pray just to that he not interrupt or be disruptful to our prayer

Quoting merrysgirls: I’m a Christian but look, he isn’t your child. It’s annoying that you treat him like one and certainly you aren’t winning any hearts that way.

Lame.
merrysgirls
by Lame on Dec. 13, 2017 at 6:48 PM
2 moms liked this
What is the big deal with just letting him start eating?

Quoting Anonymous 1: He's not our child. We shouldn't have to house and feed him. But we do. And all we ask is that he isn't disrespectful to our beliefs. We aren't demanding that he bow his head in pray just to that he not interrupt or be disruptful to our prayer

Quoting merrysgirls: I’m a Christian but look, he isn’t your child. It’s annoying that you treat him like one and certainly you aren’t winning any hearts that way.

Lame.
hannmc14
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2017 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I would just not eat with you guys and eat on my own if I were him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 13, 2017 at 6:48 PM
Just say your prayers and leave him be
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2017 at 6:48 PM
6 moms liked this
It's disrespectful. Not only to our religious beliefs but us.

Quoting merrysgirls: What is the big deal with just letting him start eating?

Quoting Anonymous 1: He's not our child. We shouldn't have to house and feed him. But we do. And all we ask is that he isn't disrespectful to our beliefs. We aren't demanding that he bow his head in pray just to that he not interrupt or be disruptful to our prayer

Lame.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2017 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this
No. If he wants the privilege of sitting at our table and eating our food he can show us respect.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Just say your prayers and leave him be
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)