Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ungrateful brats

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 186 Replies
Dh and I bought tickets for ourselves, his kids and my daughter to attend the Nutcracker at the performing arts center this weekend as an early Christmas gift for everyone. His daughters love ballet and have been talking about wanting to go and my daughter is now old enough to really appreciate it.

We didn't keep it a surprise so his girls would bring appropriate clothes this weekend and because they aren't really into surprises. They called their father last night wanting to have a serious talk. They asked him if instead of all of us going as a family if my daughter and I could skip it this year and they could bring their Mom and half sister instead (their half sister is almost an adult). Their Mom used go be a ballerina and she wants to experience this with her girls all together. They haven't been to a ballet before and they would rather their first experience be with both their mother and their father and their blood sister and that my daughter is too young to be enjoyable to go with (she's 5)

My husband told them no but that they are welcome not to go if they don't want to. Their Mom can buy her own tickets and take them but he isnt giving them ours and she isnt coming with us. I am really hurt by this. I was excited to go as a family and to know they'd rather my daughter and I not be a part of it makes me so sad. I suppose if they choose not to come we will invite friends or something but it just isn't the same.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 14, 2017 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissHavisham
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2017 at 9:31 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm not sure your husband needed to fill you in on all that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 14, 2017 at 9:34 AM
I was in the room. We don't keep secrets from each other anyway.

Quoting MissHavisham:

bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 14, 2017 at 9:35 AM
I can see the girls point but yeah it’s hurtful.
Iguessiwasbad13
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2017 at 9:37 AM
That'd be a hard no. My 6 year old had a field trip to see it yesterday. She said it was long but enjoyed it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 14, 2017 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Unless they threw a fit after he told them no I don't see how they are brats. It's no surprise they would rather spend quality time with their mom instead of their step mom. Of course your husband was also right to say no.
Talkingheads
by Emerald Member on Dec. 14, 2017 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
This was a gift for your family not his ex or anyone else. My only issue is with calling them brats. This was planted in their heads by their mom. If it was so important for mom to take them then she should have taken them years ago. If they choose not to come this weekend then they wouldnt be getting anuthing else for christmas
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 14, 2017 at 9:38 AM
My daughter has a lot of patience for her age and she loves any sort of move production. We took her to see a local production of the Wizard of Oz and she was enchanted.

Quoting Iguessiwasbad13: That'd be a hard no. My 6 year old had a field trip to see it yesterday. She said it was long but enjoyed it.
MissHavisham
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2017 at 9:38 AM

It's not keeping a secret from you. It really has nothing to do with you. It only hurt your feelings. There's nothing you can do about it either way. He should have handled it on his own with out you IMO. But what's done is done. Is it possible the mom talked them in to this?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I was in the room. We don't keep secrets from each other anyway.
Quoting MissHavisham:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 14, 2017 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
It wwas rude to want to exclude us from a Christmas gift i was a part of getting for everyone.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Unless they threw a fit after he told them no I don't see how they are brats. It's no surprise they would rather spend quality time with their mom instead of their step mom. Of course your husband was also right to say no.
Valentina327
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2017 at 9:39 AM
4 moms liked this
I can see their request. I don't think it's anything against you or your kid.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)