Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not Many Gifts Under The Tree

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 86 Replies

THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT POST!!!

I was just looking over my list of Christmas gifts for my kids and I was kind of sad to see that they don't have as many fun gifts as when they were younger. I miss waking up on Christmas morning and having them rip the wrapping paper and get excited about the toys. Now that they are older they want older kid things and that's just boring. 

Do any of you do anything different when it comes to opening gifts for the older kids that makes the morning more fun? Make it last a little longer or more exciting? 

My kids will be more than happy with the gifts they are getting so I guess this is more of a me thing feeling sad that my kids are grown up. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 15, 2017 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Southern_Song
by Jo on Dec. 15, 2017 at 10:23 AM
My older kids still have about 8 to 9 each. Just counted last night. Quality over quantity.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 15, 2017 at 10:28 AM
Not really. I mean, I get it. When they were younger, most of the things they got were actually toys. Now that they're older, they want electronics, expensive clothes and makeup, phones, gaming system, etc.

I think I enjoy it even more now since they're more than capable of telling us what they want and we get to see them actually use it, not just throw everything in a toy box with missing parts and crayon marks all over it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 15, 2017 at 10:32 AM

I did make the mistake when my kids were real little and bought things just to have more under the tree but so much they didn't use or play with so now it is only things I know they want or will use. They each have 5-6 gifts right now but they are a little more expensive this year and kind of boring to me but I know they will love it all. 

Quoting Southern_Song: My older kids still have about 8 to 9 each. Just counted last night. Quality over quantity.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 15, 2017 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm lucky that people in my family hand me money to buy gifts on their behalf. Otherwise, I'd just be buying Xbox live memberships, Google Play cards, Gamestop gift cards, etc.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 15, 2017 at 10:37 AM

I've never really asked my kids exactly what they, I just kind of guess. I know they'll still be happy though. One kid did say pants but he needed them so bad before Christmas so I won't have a chance to use them as a gift. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: Not really. I mean, I get it. When they were younger, most of the things they got were actually toys. Now that they're older, they want electronics, expensive clothes and makeup, phones, gaming system, etc. I think I enjoy it even more now since they're more than capable of telling us what they want and we get to see them actually use it, not just throw everything in a toy box with missing parts and crayon marks all over it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 15, 2017 at 10:39 AM

My kids would be so happy with a handful of gift cards. 

Quoting Anonymous 3: I'm lucky that people in my family hand me money to buy gifts on their behalf. Otherwise, I'd just be buying Xbox live memberships, Google Play cards, Gamestop gift cards, etc.

Pukalani79
by Gold Member on Dec. 15, 2017 at 10:40 AM
I think it was two years ago when I realized it was the first time I hadn't bought a single you because they were growing up. Kind of sad. At the same time, they know what they want and are grateful for it. Christmas is a little more mellow now, but it's nice in its own way
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 15, 2017 at 10:41 AM
Not really but I've never done a lot anyway. I only have 1 that has to get everything open real fast. The other two open each thing slowly, check it out, look it over, and slowly move to the next. By the time they're on their second gift my oldest has opened all of hers. It hasn't really changed much over the years.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 15, 2017 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah I'm sure I will still enjoy the morning just in a different way. A plus is that I won't have to work through a million twist ties and have to spend the morning installing batteries. 

Quoting Pukalani79: I think it was two years ago when I realized it was the first time I hadn't bought a single you because they were growing up. Kind of sad. At the same time, they know what they want and are grateful for it. Christmas is a little more mellow now, but it's nice in its own way

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 15, 2017 at 10:44 AM
I guess I can understand your feelings. It's sad that they have to grow up lol. I still think my kids get excited for the gifts they have. At least I know dd will be pretty excited. She asked for a specific pair of shoes that I have been saying are too expensive so I don't think she has a clue that she will be getting them. Mine are still kind of young though (9 and 10) so I know things will change as they get older.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)