Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pre-teen is too skinny/chubby

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2017 at 8:19 PM
  • 54 Replies
1 mom liked this
My 12 year old son has had problems gaining weight for years. We have finally got him gaining weight, about 20 pounds in a year (he was underweight for his age) but he is getting a gut and is weak. He couldn't open a bottle of water with just his hands, he has to use his teeth.
Anyway, I've been going to the gym pretty religiously and I want to start taking him with me so he starts gaining muscle too. I asked him if he wanted to come and he said yeah. I looked into the gym info about bringing a kid and I can after signing consent.
How would you go about starting a strength training routine for kid? Of course start small (I did for myself and very quickly started adding more weight)
Has anybody done this before? Any advise?
Do I get him on weight machines with low weight first or build his stamina up on bikes or treadmill first?
And no his dad isn't around to help out with this.
by on Dec. 15, 2017 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 15, 2017 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I mean....At 12 not being able to open a bottle of water i would be worried somthing else was going on and take him to the Dr.

VegetaPrincess
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2017 at 8:26 PM
I'd look up starting strength. It's a really good beginners program that's been around a long time.

If he can't do squats with the bar yet, use dumbbells instead.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 15, 2017 at 8:27 PM
My scrawny 12 yr old son is the same. He also uses his teeth to open things.. His limbo arms are sooooo skinny. 🤣 but the kid is a soccer star so he has some strength in those legs. He is kind of short to. He weighs 72 lbs and is about about 4ft 10... He has a belly too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 15, 2017 at 8:30 PM

Mobile Photo

My hands are small too. Lol... My 4 yr old daughters are is about the same as his... Doctor says he is healthy though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 15, 2017 at 8:31 PM
This was my first thought too.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I mean....At 12 not being able to open a bottle of water i would be worried somthing else was going on and take him to the Dr.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 15, 2017 at 8:31 PM

Mobile Photo

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 15, 2017 at 8:32 PM
Children that young shouldn't use weights. It can cause damage to epiphyseal plates and long term problems. Have him do body weight exercises, yoga.
Thewife06
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2017 at 8:32 PM
Let him do weight machines near you. Start off light and teach him the RIGHT way to use them. Do NOT let him push or try to max out. His body is too young for that.
Thewife06
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2017 at 8:34 PM
Around 12 is when schools start allowing kids to use the weight machines, so I wouldn't be shocked if I saw a preteen using light weights in the gym.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Children that young shouldn't use weights. It can cause damage to epiphyseal plates and long term problems. Have him do body weight exercises, yoga.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 15, 2017 at 8:35 PM
Don't do anything without consulting his doctor.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)