Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The teacher humiliated my son

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 295 Replies
Yesterday my son's class had a holiday party. The teacher gave all the kids books. It's fifth grade so they all got chapter books. But my son and one other child got non-fiction books instead. He has a learning disability and reads at a first or second grade level. I assume the other boy who got the same book struggles too.

I called her to ask what she was thinking. She said she bought a variety of books at different levels so each child would get one they could read. She didn't even care that the other kids noticed his was different.

She's about to go on maternity leave so I don't think she even cared that I was upset. But I'm not going to have my child embarrassed by a teacher. I've already emailed the principal asking for a meeting.

I just needed to vent.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 16, 2017 at 3:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 16, 2017 at 3:08 PM
19 moms liked this
So you want your kid to get a book he can't read? The kids already know he is slower than them.
mjande4
by Gold Member on Dec. 16, 2017 at 3:09 PM
43 moms liked this

So the teacher purchased gifts with her own money tailored to individual students. No wonder there are nationwide teacher shortages. Parents like you make me sick.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 16, 2017 at 3:10 PM
How would they know? She advertised it by giving him something different.

Quoting Anonymous 2: So you want your kid to get a book he can't read? The kids already know he is slower than them.
Olioxenfree
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2017 at 3:10 PM
22 moms liked this
She made sure to have books available that were on each childs reading level. That was considerate of her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 16, 2017 at 3:11 PM
21 moms liked this
Oh no the horror!! Your child's teacher spent her own money and bought your child a gift he can actually use!!I bet if she gave him a book that he couldn't read, you'd be bitching about that too. Poor teacher can't win either way with you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 16, 2017 at 3:11 PM

She should have got everyone a fiction chapter book that they could read.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Dec. 16, 2017 at 3:11 PM
5 moms liked this

He got a book, yes?  He wasn't humiliated - you're totally blowing this up when it doesn't need to be.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 16, 2017 at 3:11 PM
His reading level isn't something his classmates need to know about. She rubbed it in his face that he's behind.

Quoting Olioxenfree: She made sure to have books available that were on each childs reading level. That was considerate of her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 16, 2017 at 3:12 PM
I guess you're the kind of mom who doesn't care when your child is upset. He wanted a big book like the other kids. He shouldn't be treated differently.

Quoting jas_momof2:

He got a book, yes?  He wasn't humiliated - you're totally blowing this up when it doesn't need to be.

81Crystal
by Emerald Member on Dec. 16, 2017 at 3:13 PM
30 moms liked this
The other students already know your son reads on a different level. I promise you they don't care. The only one embarrassed by it is you.

The teacher tried to do something generous for all her students. Her choice was a thoughtful gesture for your son. Don't make him feel embarrassed by going to the school upset about something that you shouldn't be upset about.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)