Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has your child ever gone missing?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
Okay,
My daughter is autistic, nonverbal, and a runner. Shes 4 years old.

She’s been wandering more and more lately, especially in public. It really takes constant attention to keep her close, and it’s something we’ve been working on in ABA therapy, and with her developmental therapist.

A week ago she got away from my husband at the grocery store. She ran up the street, ended up in a Home Depot 2 blocks away.
A few people reported seeing her, but she ran away from most of the people who tried to help her. When she finally did go to an adult in the Home Depot, she couldn’t tell anyone her name or ask for help- she was signing, but no one could tell, or knew ASL

Thank god she had the old cell phone we let her play with in her backpack, it has no service, but still had our numbers in the contacts

It was horrifying though. I dont know if you’ve ever been in that situation, where your child was lost, even for a short while

It’s terrible. It terrifying in ways I don’t even have words for it. Maybe I’m crazy, but it feels like a total parenting failure, and I’m CONSUMED with this obsession over making sure i do whatetever we have to to make sure it NEVER happens again
Anyhow, her therapist suggest a wrist attachment thing, I made a different post about that

But the real issue is, how do we make sure this never happens again?? Anyone know the builders of Rapunzel’s tower? Ha ha
No, seriously though. Can’t I just keep her inside forever?

And I’m not really angry at him, but how can I trust my husband with her again? Not that I have a choice, but DAMN ladies, he lost my baby. Fuck. I know it’s irrational, but FUCK

It sucks. It’s been a rough week
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 16, 2017 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 16, 2017 at 9:39 PM
2 moms liked this
Get the wrist attachment and from describing your dd it sounds like it could have just as easily been you that lost her. So when the anger at your DH comes trY to remember that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 16, 2017 at 9:39 PM
I would buy a tracking device. There are a few nice options for kids.
Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Dec. 16, 2017 at 9:39 PM
No
Melbornj
by Ruby Member on Dec. 16, 2017 at 9:40 PM
I would buy one of those watches that keeps her location. And think about a harness.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 16, 2017 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Get a backpack leash or a wrist leash. I had them for my twins and they were a life saver at the stage where they started running in opposite directions.
WickedPissah
by awestomy on Dec. 16, 2017 at 9:42 PM
It happened here except it was a boy. They called out a dive team and helicopters to look for him.

Luckily they did.
cheekacheeka
by Emerald Member on Dec. 16, 2017 at 9:42 PM

I have a neurotypical 4 year old who likes to wander. It doesn't matter who she's with. I'm sure she'll disappear on you too sometime so you need to reel the trust thing with your dh on in.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 16, 2017 at 9:43 PM
No, you’re absolutely right. I keep reminding myself of all the times I messed up, and how lucky I am that’s nothings e Er gone wrong “on my watch”

I know it’s irrational, I just can’t help but be angry at him 🙁

Quoting Anonymous 2: Get the wrist attachment and from describing your dd it sounds like it could have just as easily been you that lost her. So when the anger at your DH comes trY to remember that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 16, 2017 at 9:44 PM
Mine are 6 and 8, thankfully they've never gone missing!
nanny1918
by Ruby Member on Dec. 16, 2017 at 9:46 PM
You made the post about the wrist attachment ? I think it's a great idea. I would start with that.
I'd also have contact stickers made up with her name, address and your phone number on it and every time she leaves the house, apply one to your daughters back. It may sound funny but it'll do the trick.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)