Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you've been sexually harassed or assaulted but didn't report it....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 57 Replies

What stopped you?

This post is not about victim blaming. I'd never blame a person (male or female) for not reporting because I understand that there's a multitude of reasons for why a person wouldn't speak up. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 17, 2017 at 2:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 17, 2017 at 2:55 AM

We did report it.  In the mid 80's the POLICE told us it was best handled within the family or thru our church because the molester/rapist was a family member.   I was 13.  The police didn't even write up a report even tho it was molestation & rape of a minor.   And this wasn't some small town police dept.  It was in one of the largest cities in the country.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 17, 2017 at 2:56 AM
I didn't want his kids to be without a father because he would've went to prison for a long time if I reported it.
bascha
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2017 at 2:57 AM
1 mom liked this
It sort of happened a long time ago. It was a guy who was from the HQ of the place I was working, and he was only there for a few weeks. I told my boss about it, and they sort of shrugged it off. I got laid off a few days later. I was told, months afterward, that he had done almost the same thong to another girl who worked there, and they did the same to her, but finally reported the guy to HQ. Not sure what ever happened, if anything.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 17, 2017 at 3:00 AM

Thank you for your reply. The only one of 3 that actually DIDN'T report it. Sorry you had to deal with that.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I didn't want his kids to be without a father because he would've went to prison for a long time if I reported it.

NotACatfish
by on Dec. 17, 2017 at 3:02 AM
Didn’t know I could do anything about it. I was sexually harassed by a customer. I fully believe if his friends hadn’t been with him, he would’ve tried to do something to me.
lancet98
by Ruby Member on Dec. 17, 2017 at 3:04 AM

I was young and my sister was the 'adult in charge' and laughed at me and said not to report it, police would laugh in my face.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

What stopped you?

This post is not about victim blaming. I'd never blame a person (male or female) for not reporting because I understand that there's a multitude of reasons for why a person wouldn't speak up. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 17, 2017 at 3:04 AM

You must have misunderstood my post or just wanted to talk about your experience? I am not asking if you reported, I'm asking if you did not.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

We did report it.  In the mid 80's the POLICE told us it was best handled within the family or thru our church because the molester/rapist was a family member.   I was 13.  The police didn't even write up a report even tho it was molestation & rape of a minor.   And this wasn't some small town police dept.  It was in one of the largest cities in the country.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 17, 2017 at 3:05 AM
1 mom liked this

because I didn't want to talk about it and the idea of sitting in front of a jury telling everyone about it was to humiliating.

lancet98
by Ruby Member on Dec. 17, 2017 at 3:05 AM

It's the internet, dear.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

You must have misunderstood my post or just wanted to talk about your experience? I am not asking if you reported, I'm asking if you did not.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 17, 2017 at 3:06 AM

Were you working in retail?

Quoting NotACatfish: Didn’t know I could do anything about it. I was sexually harassed by a customer. I fully believe if his friends hadn’t been with him, he would’ve tried to do something to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)