Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The bakery-lesbian-cake situation

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I am one of those people who believes that each person should live their life the way they see it fit. Still, I don’t get why all this situation with the bakery, cake, and lesbians.
The way I understand it is this:
1. Two lesbians decided to get married and needed a wedding cake.
2. The bakery owners didn’t feel at place to make the cake and refused the order.
3. The lesbians felt discriminated and decided to sue.
4. The judge and the state forced the bakery to pay for emotional stress caused by the discrimination and the refusal.
5. Everybody is supporting the lesbians because they were discriminated.

BUT
1. Where is the freedom of the American citizen? If I don’t like someone, I have to bend my knees just because they are part of a certain group and they can sue me?
2. As a woman, wife, mother, employee, student, gardner, homeowner etc, if I feel that I have such a fragile nervous system I seek help; I don’t sue people for not liking me or what I am doing.
3. I do get discrimination and I understand how bad it is. Still, if I feel that (for any reason) I can’t provide the best service to a customer, isn’t it more professional to say that I can’t do it than provide a lousy service? I understand the laws but forcing people to accept/like other people and their habits feels strange and scary.

What is next? Can I press charges if my neighbor doesn’t like my accent?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2017 at 6:58 AM
Replies (391-395):
FoxTroll
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2018 at 2:29 PM

Say I believe in blood sacrifices. You're against it, tell me I can't have your first born child, even though that particular child of all children was chosen. I feel discriminated against and sue you and you are forced to hand over your kid because you broke the law. Would you be okay with that? Doubtful.

Quoting lancet98:

It needn't be a law?  What the HELL is wrong with you?   

It's not trivial.  Once you allow this then we are practicing Apartheid.  

Quoting FoxTroll:

It needn't be a law. If that was the only bakery on the entire planet, I could see the issue. There are other bakeries. This particular lesbian couple gives me the impression they wanted their 15 minutes of fame and went bananas over something as trivial as a cake.

Quoting lancet98:

Oops!  It's against the law!  For example, notice that the baker got fined for BREAKING THE LAW.

This was not a lawsuit (despite what the ridiculous OP claimed) it was a FINE..  For BREAKING A LAW.  DESCRIMINATION.

Quoting FoxTroll:

If a cake shop refuses, find another cake shop. Don't be dramatic.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 71 on Jan. 1, 2018 at 2:57 PM

5. Everybody is supporting the lesbians because they were discriminated.

Actually, not everyone is.  There are a LOT of people who are basically saying to the lesbian couple "just get over it and go someplace else already!"

1. Where is the freedom of the American citizen? If I don’t like someone, I have to bend my knees just because they are part of a certain group and they can sue me?

Not liking someone is rather irrelevant.  I don't *like* homosexuals.  However, if a homosexual couple came into my office and said "bake us a wedding cake" guess what my answer would be.  "No."  Why?  Because baking cakes is not part of my business.  BTW, I have seen some pretty strange comments about this case.  Like people saying "I should sue a Muslim restaurant if they refuse to serve me ham." Or "I should sue the Mexican restaurant if they refuse to serve me Chinese."  Now, what if a homosexual couple comes into my office and wants me to design a building for them?  Personal feelings aside, their money is a good as anyone elses...my response would be to grab a pencil and pad of paper and say "tell me about it."

2. As a woman, wife, mother, employee, student, gardner, homeowner etc, if I feel that I have such a fragile nervous system I seek help; I don’t sue people for not liking me or what I am doing.

I can not like you.  That is my right.  A lot of times when a Mexican comes in my shop, I kind of go "oh no!"  I'm not a fan of Mexicans.  I've had some actually try to haggle about the price for my service.  I tell them the bill is $1500.  "Can I pay you $1000?"  I would be like "No, you can pay me $1500!"  "Ok, can I pay you $1200?"  "No.  You can pay me $1500!"  "Can I pay you..."  My price is my price.  Then there are the other Mexicans.  "How much do I owe you?"  "The bill comes out to $1500."  "Who do I make the check out to?"

3. I do get discrimination and I understand how bad it is. Still, if I feel that (for any reason) I can’t provide the best service to a customer, isn’t it more professional to say that I can’t do it than provide a lousy service? I understand the laws but forcing people to accept/like other people and their habits feels strange and scary.

No.  It's more professional to do it and provide a good service doing it.  If you feel that you can't provide service to all legal comers, you are in the wrong business.  If NAMBLA came to me and said "design us a NAMBLA building where we can molest children" my response would be "No way Jose!  I will not participate in something that is illegal."  I personally feel that their ideas are repugnant.  Never the less, they have a right to advance their ideas, just like I have a right to advance mine.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 70 on Jan. 4, 2018 at 7:34 AM
Glad you the main jackass speak for everyone! Lmao!

Freedom of an individual business.. don’t like it go back to the rock you climbed under!

Quoting lancet98:

Oh for God's sake.

Maybe you jackasses deserve that kind of country if you can say such ignorant shit.  But I don't deserve that kind of country and neither does anyone else.

Quoting Anonymous 70: I agree 1,000%!

Quoting FoxTroll:

It needn't be a law. If that was the only bakery on the entire planet, I could see the issue. There are other bakeries. This particular lesbian couple gives me the impression they wanted their 15 minutes of fame and went bananas over something as trivial as a cake.

Quoting lancet98:

Oops!  It's against the law!  For example, notice that the baker got fined for BREAKING THE LAW.

This was not a lawsuit (despite what the ridiculous OP claimed) it was a FINE..  For BREAKING A LAW.  DESCRIMINATION.

Quoting FoxTroll:

sha_lyn68
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2018 at 9:53 AM
Businesses don't have the freedom to discriminate.

Quoting Anonymous 70: Glad you the main jackass speak for everyone! Lmao!

Freedom of an individual business.. don’t like it go back to the rock you climbed under!

Quoting lancet98:

Oh for God's sake.

Maybe you jackasses deserve that kind of country if you can say such ignorant shit.  But I don't deserve that kind of country and neither does anyone else.

Quoting Anonymous 70: I agree 1,000%!

Quoting FoxTroll:

Quoting lancet98:

Quoting FoxTroll:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 71 on Mar. 26, 2018 at 5:13 PM

Do you apply it consistently?  Most restaurants I go into won't serve pork...to anyone.  Would you say that they are discriminating?  If so, against who?  If refusing to serve pork to anyone is "discrimination" how about if I go to a Chinese restaurant and want them to serve me a burger.  Would it be "discrimination" if they refuse?  Or if I go to Burger King and say I want Chinese, would it be "discrimination" if they said "no"?  I would say that none of these things are, in any way, discriminatory, because they are applying the same "rule" across the board.  

BTW, I have see people actually say that they "should go into a Muslim restaurant and scream discrimination when the restaurant refuses to serve me pork."  It won't fly.  I GUARANTEE you it won't fly.  You know why?  Because if a court EVER rules that to be a form of "discrimination" then people can go into ANY restaurant and demand ANYTHING and it would be discriminatory to refuse.  It would be anarchy.  You could go into a donut shop and demand that they make Cream Fishiswa, and God help them if they try to say "we don't even know how to make that!"

Quoting Anonymous 1: Ok... but maybe today i feel sick (because, let’s say, I am pregnant) and I cannot work with vanilla, to make that perfect cake my customer wants. I can make a cake without vanilla but it won’t be what my customer wants. What should I do? Make the cake anyway or tell the customer that I cannot provide the quality they expect, not when they expect it? Do it anyway and make myself sick? Or, simply tell the customer that I won’t be able to provide the requested service?
Quoting MonarchMom22:

Hello - you might want to read the law that covers businesses of  public accomodation (restauants, hotels, food outlets, theaters, etc.) The are required under the law to offer the  same service to all.  They can choose to not offer a service (such as wedding cakes) but they cannot legally offer that to some customers but refuse other customers.

If you do not want to serve all the public then you should not choose to be in public accomodation as a business. 

No one is telling people how to "feel" about anything. Only that they cannot deny sevice based on belonging to a certain group. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: No. But at the same time, by nature humans are not objective in their attitudes, reactions, thoughts etc. Business owners should have the right to refuse to provide services/products if they feel like it. It is a free country, after all.
Quoting VegetaPrincess: Do you support businesses stating they won't serve blacks, Mexicans, Jews,etc. as well?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)