Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Which car would you choose?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: I choose...

Options:

Acura MDX, go for the luxury.

Toyota 4Runner, Toyotas are reliable.

Chevy Traverse, how often are you really gonna tow?

Chevy TrailBlazer, solid SUV and it's cheap.

Dodge Grand Caravan, minivans are the bomb.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 91

View Results

It's the shittiest time of the year! That time when your car decides to total itself and you have to get a new one.

Here are your options:

2008 Acura MDX: 97k miles, $13995.00, fully loaded with everything you could dream of, leather seats, tech package included, seats 7. Spotless, well kept. Tows up to 5000lbs.

2006 Toyota 4Runner: 108k miles, $10600, interior is clean and nice, a couple scratches on the outside, but nothing major. Seats 5. Towing package, Bluetooth, can handle up to 7000lbs.

2009 Chevy Traverse: 92k miles, $10700, also well kept and clean, Bluetooth, lots and lots of storage space. Seats 7 with a functional 3rd row. Towing is maybe 2000lbs.

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer: 85k miles, $8000, On star and Sirius Xm. Can tow 5000lbs. Seats 5. Needs a good cleaning but is cheap and will take a beating.

2010 Dodge Grand Caravan: 49k miles, $10500. Limited towing capability. Seats 7, captains chairs, 3rd row folds into the floor. Sparkling clean, extremely well kept.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2018 at 7:36 PM
Replies (111-118):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 2, 2018 at 9:13 PM
We owned one and the transmission shit out at 46,000 miles a year later.

Quoting Anonymous 17: LOL maybe that’s your problem then. We’ve owned 9 and never had any issues. Although only my first car was 10 yrs old. I prefer to buy new. The mark up on used is just crazy.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I would never buy a Ford, so I guess I'm out of luck.

Quoting Anonymous 17: Maybe you are trying the wrong crossovers. I took a 4 hr road trip in my 2011 edge with my adult SIL in the middle seat between two carseats with no complaints. My 2015 was just as spacious. A Jeep Grand Cherokee would probably also work.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I've looked at the Highlander, Rogue, Rav4 and all were very uncomfortable with the 2 carseats and 3rd kid. She was squished by the carseats.

Quoting Anonymous 17: Crossovers are no where near too small for two carseats. I’ve driven two edges and LOVED them both. Had zero issues fitting large carseats.

Quoting Anonymous 1: A sedan isn't an option. Most crossovers are still too small for 2 carseats, unless I buy brand new carseats at about $400 a pop for super slim ones.

These are the best deals for the size and capabilities I need. How does that make me unaware? There are no lower mileage options for that price range unless I went with a Hyundai Elantra or Nissan Sentra, neither of which would fit our family.
Quoting Anonymous 8: Your budget is 14,000.....are you really unaware of how to buy a reasonable car for that?
Quoting Anonymous 1: Ok miss moneybags.
Quoting Anonymous 8: What I don't understand is whybtgese are your only options. I woukdnt buy any of them.

I'd go to a dealer and buy a low mileage certified car.
imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Jan. 2, 2018 at 9:20 PM
Brand new cars cone with bumper to bumper warranties. It's not comparable.

Quoting Anonymous 1: And you could get a brand new car that has nothing but problems and is constantly in the shop. There are Carfax reports for this very reason. You take a risk with any car that she by. I've had $3,000 beater cars that I bought with cash. Lasted me a hundred and fifty thousand more miles and I've had newer cars that lasted a few months before they just completely crapped out.

Quoting imthatgirl0607: How could you possibly know if a used car will be reliable? What will a warranty cost on these? The high mileage ones will be very expensive.

And that's great that your one vehicle one time last that long. But that's not a guarantee ln any other vehicles that someone else may have abused before you bought it.

Personally I'd keep looking unless you plkan to buy again in a few years.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I could afford more, but I'd rather not overextend myself. They're all reliable vehicles, well I have my doubts about the Dodge. We had a Chevy suburban that we racked up over 200k miles on that all we needed to replace was the water pump until it got hit by a semi.

Quoting imthatgirl0607: Why don't you leave your luggage at the hotel when you shop?

I also have a highlander, but I never take it with me to tournaments. Too much gas mileage. Thats my around town car. But, I can't imagine not beig able to handle packing my vehicle for trips.

Well the op asked for opinions? No? If I was on her budget there is no way I'd buy a car with such high mileage. She'll be in this same situation in just a few short years(orf less). I think making good decisions in life is important *shrug*

Quoting Anonymous 15: I “could” fit but that would be it. Sometimes we go shopping in whatever city we have a tournament in. I want extra space. It’s not a bad thing to want or need extra space. At least I don’t have to borrow a truck if I need to move a piece of furniture or something like that. My vehicle suits my needs. Yours suits yours. OP wants one that suits hers.

Quoting imthatgirl0607: I have 3 kids and can't imagine not being able to transport their sporting equipment and luggage in my sedan. Hell when we go to tournaments I have to carry both.

Quoting Anonymous 15: I have kids with sports equipment. I have luggage for four people on a weekend trip. Sometimes I have my large dog who can’t fit in the cabin.

Quoting Anonymous 8: What are you transporting that can't fit in a car? I've never had a problem, lol.

She said not everyone can afford new.....Which is not true. I didn't tell her to buy anything. She was just wrong.

Quoting Anonymous 15: So you buy a vehicle that ONLY fits the amount of people you have? What about cargo space? Room for an extra person if needed?
You call what she wants “crap” when you’re wanting someone to buy a brand new vehicle that only retails for $14,000???? Sounds like you’re the one who’s into crap cars.

Quoting Anonymous 8: She just said she only has 3 kids.

Completely unnecessary to have such a large car. Which is why she'll over pay for crap.

But I suppise it's her money to waste on crap.

I wouldnt buy any of those.

Quoting Anonymous 15: Ok then....she needs a large family vehicle. She listed SUVs and a van. None of which can be bought brand new for $14,000.
The only vehicles that CAN are pussy little 4 banger coupes or mini sedans which very clearly won’t meet her needs.
Again. Don’t be dumb. I know it’s a lot to ask.

Quoting Anonymous 8: No one beeds an suv

Quoting Anonymous 15: Not an SUV like she is obviously needing. Don’t be dumb.

Quoting Anonymous 8: You can buy a brand new car for $14,000

Quoting Anonymous 1: Not everybody can buy new.

Quoting smorgan865: The Toyota I guess. Followed by the Acura. Acura is owned by Honda, so it’s very reliable too, but sometimes pricier to fix.

I’d never own Chevy or Dodge.

But I’d be buying new.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 2, 2018 at 9:36 PM
That still doesn't mean that your car wouldn't be in the shop for warranty repairs half the time that you owned it.

Quoting imthatgirl0607: Brand new cars cone with bumper to bumper warranties. It's not comparable.

Quoting Anonymous 1: And you could get a brand new car that has nothing but problems and is constantly in the shop. There are Carfax reports for this very reason. You take a risk with any car that she by. I've had $3,000 beater cars that I bought with cash. Lasted me a hundred and fifty thousand more miles and I've had newer cars that lasted a few months before they just completely crapped out.

Quoting imthatgirl0607: How could you possibly know if a used car will be reliable? What will a warranty cost on these? The high mileage ones will be very expensive.

And that's great that your one vehicle one time last that long. But that's not a guarantee ln any other vehicles that someone else may have abused before you bought it.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I could afford more, but I'd rather not overextend myself. They're all reliable vehicles, well I have my doubts about the Dodge. We had a Chevy suburban that we racked up over 200k miles on that all we needed to replace was the water pump until it got hit by a semi.

Quoting imthatgirl0607: Why don't you leave your luggage at the hotel when you shop?

I also have a highlander, but I never take it with me to tournaments. Too much gas mileage. Thats my around town car. But, I can't imagine not beig able to handle packing my vehicle for trips.

Well the op asked for opinions? No? If I was on her budget there is no way I'd buy a car with such high mileage. She'll be in this same situation in just a few short years(orf less). I think making good decisions in life is important *shrug*

Quoting Anonymous 15: I “could” fit but that would be it. Sometimes we go shopping in whatever city we have a tournament in. I want extra space. It’s not a bad thing to want or need extra space. At least I don’t have to borrow a truck if I need to move a piece of furniture or something like that. My vehicle suits my needs. Yours suits yours. OP wants one that suits hers.

Quoting imthatgirl0607: I have 3 kids and can't imagine not being able to transport their sporting equipment and luggage in my sedan. Hell when we go to tournaments I have to carry both.

Quoting Anonymous 15: I have kids with sports equipment. I have luggage for four people on a weekend trip. Sometimes I have my large dog who can’t fit in the cabin.

Quoting Anonymous 8: What are you transporting that can't fit in a car? I've never had a problem, lol.

She said not everyone can afford new.....Which is not true. I didn't tell her to buy anything. She was just wrong.

Quoting Anonymous 15: So you buy a vehicle that ONLY fits the amount of people you have? What about cargo space? Room for an extra person if needed?
You call what she wants “crap” when you’re wanting someone to buy a brand new vehicle that only retails for $14,000???? Sounds like you’re the one who’s into crap cars.

Completely unnecessary to have such a large car. Which is why she'll over pay for crap.

Quoting Anonymous 15: Ok then....she needs a large family vehicle. She listed SUVs and a van. None of which can be bought brand new for $14,000.
The only vehicles that CAN are pussy little 4 banger coupes or mini sedans which very clearly won’t meet her needs.

Quoting smorgan865: The Toyota I guess. Followed by the Acura. Acura is owned by Honda, so it’s very reliable too, but sometimes pricier to fix.

But I’d be buying new.
imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Jan. 2, 2018 at 9:45 PM
Right but the car would be fixed or replaced for nothing.

What is a warrenty on these high mileage cars going to cost You?

Quoting Anonymous 1: That still doesn't mean that your car wouldn't be in the shop for warranty repairs half the time that you owned it.

Quoting imthatgirl0607: Brand new cars cone with bumper to bumper warranties. It's not comparable.

But I’d be buying new.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 23 on Jan. 3, 2018 at 9:16 AM
Were you dropped on your head as a child? Multiple times?

Quoting Anonymous 8: I guess I'll ask you again....What does that have to do with beig able to buy one?

But I'm sure you still can't figure out an answer.

Quoting Anonymous 1: A $14k brand new vehicle is a piece of shit. That's what you don't realize.

Quoting Anonymous 8: Lol...I guess you realize it just doesn't.

No worries, I figured you'd get there at some point.

Quoting Anonymous 1: You are possibly the dumbest person I've met on this site. Congratulations.

Quoting Anonymous 8: What does that have to do with the fact that one can be bought?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Have you seen what a brand new car looks like for $14k? Or are you really that out of touch with reality?

Quoting Anonymous 8: You can buy a brand new car for 14000.

So yes...You can't read and comprehend. I'm not surprised.

Quoting Anonymous 1: "Quoting Anonymous 8: You can buy a brand new car for $14,000
"

Yea, you did.

Quoting Anonymous 8: Umm...No I didn't. You have issues with comprehension?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Says the person recommending to buy a piece of shit tiny car new for $14k for 5 people.

The Caravan is my least favorite, but in budget that can fit the things I need.

Quoting Anonymous 8: That you plan to haul with a caravan?

You're a mess.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I have a flatbed trailer, moron.

Quoting Anonymous 8: Sounds like you just aren't equipped to deal with your own life.

Who the hell transports sheetrock regularly in a 4runner?

Quoting Anonymous 1: And what truck would you suggest for under $14k that fits 5 comfortably, has better than 13mpg and has AWD? Not 2wd.

Quoting Anonymous 8: If you are transportinbg sheetrock on a regular basis what you need is called a truck, honey.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I cannot fit 12 foot pieces of lumber or sheets of sheetrock in a tiny car. We have a commuter car, I need a car to transport more than people.

But I’d be buying new.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on Jan. 3, 2018 at 9:20 AM

Traverse i just bought one best car ever and loads of leg room and storage.  Only thing is you're way over paying I just bought a 2011 LT with entertainment pkg and paid $10,200 with a 3yr bumper to bumper warranty.  I would talk them down big time.  

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Jan. 3, 2018 at 10:46 AM
The Caravan. No way would I pay that kind of money for the others with so many miles on them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 3, 2018 at 11:47 AM
Yea... That's $1500 less than any other dealership. Most are pricing at $12k with more miles.

Quoting Anonymous 24:

Traverse i just bought one best car ever and loads of leg room and storage.  Only thing is you're way over paying I just bought a 2011 LT with entertainment pkg and paid $10,200 with a 3yr bumper to bumper warranty.  I would talk them down big time.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)