Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Schools must provide feminine hygiene products

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
In my state,schools with a proverty rate of 40% or more now must stock the bathrooms with feminine hygiene products.I'M sorry,but that's really stupid.Why should the schools be required to provide pads and/ or tampons? It's not their damn job,it's the parents job. I'm not talking about providing pads for emergencies,that's of course a good idea.However to force schools to FULLY provide girls with period products is insane!If a parent can not buy pads for the daughter there is something seriously wrong.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/patch.com/california/sanjuancapistrano/amp/27303585/california-assembly-bill-10-requires-public-schools-stock-half-their
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2018 at 8:49 PM
Replies (421-426):
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2018 at 10:41 AM
I never gave birth, but use diva cup size two.

Quoting Anonymous 25:

Quoting OliRye1234: What one did you use? Honestly, my main thing was figuring out how to adjust it to finally pop it place. I have endometriosis and adenomyosis, which means pretty much hemorrhaging with literal chunks of uterine muscle coming out. I got the Diva Cup size 2. Best thing ever. I bled through all brands and sizes on tampons. The supers hurt so bad that I couldn't stand them for more than an hour. It took about two cycles to get the hang of the cup. I leaked once last month because I put it back in while showering and the cup was wet and didn't suction right.

There is a disposable version of pretty much all the top brands that are more like a film that many women like.

Quoting Anonymous 25:

Quoting OliRye1234: There needs to be so much more education about menstrual cups. Reusable and better for everyone. Less waste and less risk of infection. And for the 1 in 7 that suffers from endometriosis, some relief.

No girl wants to have to ask an adult in their school for a pad because either their period isn't regular or because they're too poor to afford.

Quoting Anonymous 1: You could of used rags,that's what the poor did years ago. Now everyone wants a hand out.

Quoting Anonymous 20:

That is awesome. My mother was too poor to buy them for me and my sister. If it wasn't for the kindness of select teachers until we could start working we wouldn't have been able to attend school while on our monthly. 

Would of that made you happier? 2 girls unable to attend school because they are bleeding?

Quoting Anonymous 1: In my state,schools with a proverty rate of 40% or more now must stock the bathrooms with feminine hygiene products.I'M sorry,but that's really stupid.Why should the schools be required to provide pads and/ or tampons? It's not their damn job,it's the parents job. I'm not talking about providing pads for emergencies,that's of course a good idea.However to force schools to FULLY provide girls with period products is insane!If a parent can not buy pads for the daughter there is something seriously wrong.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/patch.com/california/sanjuancapistrano/amp/27303585/california-assembly-bill-10-requires-public-schools-stock-half-their

I haven't had a lot of luck with those. Always leak. Have tried 3 different ones, but they're expensive when you're buying multiple ones. I can't buy 10 at 40 bucks a piece just to find the "right" one.

Diva Cup....size 1? Maybe? Because I've never given birth. Uhhh.... Lena cup. Annnd.... the femmycycle. (Had to look them up because it's been awhile since I tried.)

bluefirewolf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2018 at 2:43 PM

so let's see here - logic isn't one of your finer points I see.   

Quoting Anonymous 110:

Let's see here, so the children are raised knowing that "Hey, I don't have to worry about how many babies I pop out, someone else will take care of them. I don't have to be responsible." Children now days are raised to think they can and should get everything for free and not have to work for anything. I had two children because my husband and I felt that that was all we could afford. Yes, I wanted one more maybe even two more children but financially, it wasn't going to be happening. We were always able to provide for the both of them and give them both the attention that they needed. Looking back now that they are both out of high school and providing THIER OWN way through college, We are happy that we only have two children. We look at other couples our age with three or four kids. NO WAY would we want to struggle like they do!

Quoting bluefirewolf:

so youre ok for a child to suffer because of their parents neglect or poverty - gotcha

Quoting Anonymous 1: I rather parent's do their damn job!
Quoting SueWanda: You’d rather we let girls bleed through their clothes?

Racer15
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2018 at 4:55 AM
“I’m pro-life, but fuck those babies once they’re born!”

Quoting Anonymous 110:

Let's see here, so the children are raised knowing that "Hey, I don't have to worry about how many babies I pop out, someone else will take care of them. I don't have to be responsible." Children now days are raised to think they can and should get everything for free and not have to work for anything. I had two children because my husband and I felt that that was all we could afford. Yes, I wanted one more maybe even two more children but financially, it wasn't going to be happening. We were always able to provide for the both of them and give them both the attention that they needed. Looking back now that they are both out of high school and providing THIER OWN way through college, We are happy that we only have two children. We look at other couples our age with three or four kids. NO WAY would we want to struggle like they do!

Quoting bluefirewolf:

so youre ok for a child to suffer because of their parents neglect or poverty - gotcha

Quoting Anonymous 1: I rather parent's do their damn job!

Quoting SueWanda: You’d rather we let girls bleed through their clothes?

karene999
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2018 at 7:44 AM

California is a nanny state; the state should provide everything. There is a big difference between having a tampon machine in the bathroom then saying the state should provide them.

Yes of course I doubt there is a woman alive who has not needed an emergency tampon/pad. I had them in my locker, I brought in a small bag to keep in my locker that had everything I might need, tampons, pads, toothbrush, hair brush, extra hair ties and pins, even a sewing kit.

I never expected the school provide these things.

Quoting LuvHugs429:

??????????

I grew up in CA the Girls Bathroom always had the tampons/pad machines. What is wrong with California?? Have you never had an accident or started before you were suppose to and needed an emergency tampon/pad before you got home??

Quoting karene999:

California...enough said...

LuvHugs429
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2018 at 8:45 AM

Well I grew up in CA and they always had tampons/pads available. Never knew anything different.

Quoting karene999:

California is a nanny state; the state should provide everything. There is a big difference between having a tampon machine in the bathroom then saying the state should provide them.

Yes of course I doubt there is a woman alive who has not needed an emergency tampon/pad. I had them in my locker, I brought in a small bag to keep in my locker that had everything I might need, tampons, pads, toothbrush, hair brush, extra hair ties and pins, even a sewing kit.

I never expected the school provide these things.

Quoting LuvHugs429:

??????????

I grew up in CA the Girls Bathroom always had the tampons/pad machines. What is wrong with California?? Have you never had an accident or started before you were suppose to and needed an emergency tampon/pad before you got home??

Quoting karene999:

California...enough said...

Angela6812
by Member on Jan. 28, 2018 at 8:13 PM

Seriously, OP, where is your heart? My church has a program where we fill our unwanted purses with feminine hygiene products for them to hand out to homelss women, as these are often the only ones they will have all month. I could see if they were talking about condoms or the birth control pill. Maybe you could go buy some and donate them to the school your child goes to. If every parent who could afford to donated a box then maybe the assembly would not need to add this finacial "burden" to the schools. JMO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)