Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are delivery room fights a normal occurrence?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 138 Replies
I read stories all over the internet about extended family fighting for rights to the delivery room or arguing with the expectant mother over her wishes for privacy. Then you also hear about nurses being there to defend you against said family.

So, I’m just wondering if it’s really that common for family to try to prevent you from having a peaceful delivery. I’ve had 5 hospital deliveries and have never come across any of this madness. Even the waiting rooms look very laid back. Does most of the arguing occur outside the hospital?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2018 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TXVernacular
by on Jan. 2, 2018 at 9:23 PM
5 moms liked this
My nursing friends have told me some crazy stories! I hope people write some here....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 2, 2018 at 9:24 PM
I don't know. It's never been an issue in our family, and we have birthed a lot of babies.
bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 2, 2018 at 9:24 PM
Not at my hospital, I don’t think. The big one downtown may, it’s been years since I worked there. They always had a lot of fights in the ER and gunfire a couple of times. Hmmm, now I want to ask.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 2, 2018 at 9:24 PM
I didn't have a problem.
PISCIS29
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2018 at 9:26 PM
Dh and I have always felt both his and my mom should be with us. So no drama here.
Hoppers33
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2018 at 9:26 PM
It's never been an issue for me. Four kids, no fights. I have annoying family members, but no one is crazy. I didn't even have to tell anyone I wanted privacy. My mil might have shown up, but fil told her to leave us alone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 2, 2018 at 9:27 PM
When I had DS, MIL made a big stink about letting SS be in the room when DS was born.. and MIL also wanted BM to come and visit. None of that happened but it was definitely tense in the room.
Melissa_4
by Navy Mom on Jan. 2, 2018 at 9:28 PM

4 children, no issues with unwanted family members trying to be there during the births.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 2, 2018 at 9:29 PM
I don’t know how “common” it is, but we experienced fighting about it outside the hospital (as in at home, before birth). My MIL wanted to be there and I didn’t want her there. She threw a major fit for months.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 2, 2018 at 9:30 PM
Never had an issue with that. When I was pregnant with my oldest i was alone, and it was just me, my mom, and my grandma. With my twins, my delivery room was my husband and my ex MIL, but the OR when I was pushing was just me and my ex husband, my ex MIL, put up a fuss about no one holding the girls until my grandma held them, but I put her in her place real quick.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)