Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are delivery room fights a normal occurrence?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I read stories all over the internet about extended family fighting for rights to the delivery room or arguing with the expectant mother over her wishes for privacy. Then you also hear about nurses being there to defend you against said family.

So, I’m just wondering if it’s really that common for family to try to prevent you from having a peaceful delivery. I’ve had 5 hospital deliveries and have never come across any of this madness. Even the waiting rooms look very laid back. Does most of the arguing occur outside the hospital?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2018 at 9:21 PM
Replies (131-138):
by She's so heavy on Jan. 3, 2018 at 8:30 PM

Quoting cellomom26: None here. I cannot imagine wanting anyone besides my DH in the delivery room with me. No relatives asked us, but our answer would have been a polite but firm no.

If you weren't present at the conception, you won't be there at the delivery. 😀
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 8:44 PM
My MIL wanted to attend every one of my 4 births. Every single time I turned her down politely. "No thanks! It'll be just your son and me, but we'll call you when the baby is born! You'll be the first one to know!"

Of course hse wasnt the first one. But she was happy with that
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 9:24 PM
For dd's birth, mil asked to be there and I allowed it. She is a former l&d nurse and she stayed out of the way. When it was time for the birth, dd's heart rate dropped really low so they called a code for her. There were so many ppl in the room that I had a resident doc holding each leg. I delivered at a teaching hospital. Thankfully, she was okay. For ds, it was dh, the nurse and the doc. Mil had moved away. My mom lives across the country.
by Mrs. Tennant on Jan. 3, 2018 at 9:26 PM

We never had an issue. My husband and I have 4 children.

by 🍌bababa baba nana on Jan. 3, 2018 at 9:27 PM
My mom kicked out my ex, lol.

He wouldn't shut up and I was going on 14 hours of labor with an excruciating migraine from the meds.

She tried nicely to tell him to shut up and when that didn't work, she told him to get out before she got security. She never did like him.
by on Jan. 3, 2018 at 9:29 PM
My mom and step mom argued
I wanted my mom my step mom tried to pretend to be my mom and when my mom got there an argument erupted
by 🍌bababa baba nana on Jan. 3, 2018 at 9:31 PM
I had 2 scheduled ones. They tried to boot my husband during part of it, but because of a recent routine surgery that almost killed me, we managed to convince the staff he needed to be there, or I would be very distressed.

Quoting SPNpudding: Was yours scheduled? They booted my DH from the room for mine. 😭

Quoting Anonymous 56: I’m glad I had a c section. Only one person allowed and that was the babies father obviously. No fighting.
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 3, 2018 at 10:02 PM
If you simply don’t tell them when you’re in labor, it won’t be an issue. You don’t even have to tell them how it’s going to be before the birth. That just leaves room for unnecessary drama. Let them think they’ll be there if it’s what they decide is going to happen- then go on and do things your way.

Quoting maybebaby2018:

I wouldn't think so, but i expect to have some at mine. I do not want MIL or my mother in there, just my DH and our doula. i think my mom will be ok. His mom (my MIL) has been in the delivery room for both of his sister's kids, and she is the type to put up a fuss.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)