Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*update* Don't get your hopes up. We will probably be open on Friday.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
You should all be happy to know that I have officially closed for the day. None of my employees will die trying to get to work.
Have a wonderful weekend.

Yes there's a snow storm coming. Yes, it's supposed to get shitty.
But we live in Vermont. If you're not prepared to drive in snow, move to the fucking Bahamas.

I'm so tired of being asked about closing on Friday. Well, as of right now, we're open. By 530 Friday morning, I'll know whether I'm shutting down or not, not a minute sooner.

I'm so tired of listening to whining. I'm sorry your commute is an hour long, no one forced you to move an hour away and no one is forcing you to work here. That's a personal choice that I didn't make, you did.

I will be writing up those people who "can't make it in because of the snow." We all know it's coming, be prepared to come to work.
We very rarely close our doors and everyone knows that.

Alright, I feel better now. I can't curse at my employees, so you get that treat.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 3, 2018 at 1:40 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:08 PM
My work will be open. Kids will probably go to school.

We are where the storm is coming.

I am not excited.
Talkingheads
by Emerald Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:09 PM
She must not have been here a few years ago when hundreds of students were stuck on the highway overnight over an inch of snow. We do not and will never have the equipment to get kids and people back and forth in the snow. It's not economically feasible

Quoting Madeyemoody: Haha my cousin is a teacher in NC but she’s originally from NY she laughs her ass off about how everyone freaks out over a little snow there!

Quoting TwoPennies: I’m in North Carolina. We panic and close the schools, the businesses and city hall for 3 flakes. For 5 flakes we declare the world is officially ending and ya “better get right with god.”
We’re supposed to get an inch of snow over the course of today/tonight. An INCH. We already done lost our minds up in here. Schools have let out, businesses are boarding up, Greg Fishel is damn near having a mouth orgasm salivating at saying the word “snow.” North Carolina is a shit show in so many ways. This is just one of many....😳❄️
WickedOpal
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:09 PM

The forecast is that it will snow, but melt once it hits the ground.  It's been below freezing this week and it happens every year in January.  It's not like it's new.  Apparently, it snowed here like this about 7 years ago.  We just moved this far north a couple of years ago.  I was all excited that I would see snow again.  LOL

Quoting davidwifey: I think that is because Florida isn't supposed to get snow, like ever.
Quoting WickedOpal:

I liked this because it's funny as hell.  We're in Ocala, FL and when people heard it may snow, they lost their damn minds, too.  LOL

Quoting TwoPennies: I’m in North Carolina. We panic and close the schools, the businesses and city hall for 3 flakes. For 5 flakes we declare the world is officially ending and ya “better get right with god.” We’re supposed to get an inch of snow over the course of today/tonight. An INCH. We already done lost our minds up in here. Schools have let out, businesses are boarding up, Greg Fishel is damn near having a mouth orgasm salivating at saying the word “snow.” North Carolina is a shit show in so many ways. This is just one of many....😳❄️

I'm declaring this SARCASM FONT for CM from now on.

HandMmom12
by Jody on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:10 PM

If you're in the NE, you do realize  you're about to get hit,  right? I live in the NE, and this shitstorm that's coming your way is just missing us. We're used to blizzards and crap, but seriously, gave some compassion. People are trying to plan. Please keep that in mind

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:13 PM

If it's that bad, most people won't be shopping no matter what the idiots running the store thinks.  The intelligent thing is to close and keep people off the roads but intelligence and management don't seem to go together.

TwoPennies
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:15 PM
Jan 2005 we got @1/4” of ice. Little bit of snow on top, but not much. Lemme tell you what. The entire middle part of the state came to a screeching halt. School kids slept at school, 20minute commutes took 20hours, the entire Raleigh-Durham area roads were at an absolute gridlocked standstill. Ever since, every.single.year people bring up the “icepocolypse of 2005” as the reason why it’s smart to shut everything down around here. But the REAL reason it’s smart to shut everything down is because can’t none of us drive on this mess. When anyone crosses the borders into NC they loose their god given sensibility of driving and those born here never had it to begin with. So yeah...clear as a bell outside right now but still everyone is panicking along with chicken little.

Quoting Anonymous 6: I'm one of your neighbors to the south. South Carolina is just as paranoid regarding the wintertime. I'm in the upstate and it's just supposed to be extremely cold here. People are losing their minds all over social media and complaining about "forcing the children" to attend school in such "horrible temperatures". I am originally from Utah, so this cold and such doesn't bother me. I believe the south would close entirely if we had as much snow as the north east gets.

Quoting TwoPennies: I’m in North Carolina. We panic and close the schools, the businesses and city hall for 3 flakes. For 5 flakes we declare the world is officially ending and ya “better get right with god.”
We’re supposed to get an inch of snow over the course of today/tonight. An INCH. We already done lost our minds up in here. Schools have let out, businesses are boarding up, Greg Fishel is damn near having a mouth orgasm salivating at saying the word “snow.” North Carolina is a shit show in so many ways. This is just one of many....😳❄️
MistressMonster
by Sour Grapes on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:16 PM

Here in my city if we even get half an inch of snow, we shut down. We aren't used to snow at all.

quinnsmom715
by Emerald Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:16 PM

believe it or not,maryland is like that..you can almost hear all the cars starting up to run to the store to get toilet paper when the word 'snow'is even mentioned..

Quoting TwoPennies: I’m in North Carolina. We panic and close the schools, the businesses and city hall for 3 flakes. For 5 flakes we declare the world is officially ending and ya “better get right with god.” We’re supposed to get an inch of snow over the course of today/tonight. An INCH. We already done lost our minds up in here. Schools have let out, businesses are boarding up, Greg Fishel is damn near having a mouth orgasm salivating at saying the word “snow.” North Carolina is a shit show in so many ways. This is just one of many....😳❄️

TwoPennies
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:17 PM
Ah yes, icepocolypse 2005. Good times....

Quoting Talkingheads: She must not have been here a few years ago when hundreds of students were stuck on the highway overnight over an inch of snow. We do not and will never have the equipment to get kids and people back and forth in the snow. It's not economically feasible

Quoting Madeyemoody: Haha my cousin is a teacher in NC but she’s originally from NY she laughs her ass off about how everyone freaks out over a little snow there!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. Two employees already came to me and said exactly that. One is a nineteen year old who just moved here from VA. She straight up said that she wouldn't be in on Friday because it's supposed to be really crappy. I told her to enjoy her day off and I thanked her for being prepared and letting me know.
Another lives forty five minutes away and she's in a district that always closes for snow, so she knows that her kids are probably off on Friday. I told her to enjoy and asked if she wanted to use a vacation day or just not get paid.
I don't want a bunch of employees calling me on Friday morning, acting surprised by the weather.

Quoting Anonymous 7: So if they let you know now like “I’m not comfortable driving in snow” then that would be sufficient according to your demands correct? Because it’s ahead of time....

Quoting Anonymous 1: I'm plenty understanding, but if they have a long commute, they need to make arrangements ahead of time. It's the ones that will wait until 630 am to text or call me and say they can't make it because of the weather.

No, the weather has been predicted days ahead, there's no excuse. They need to let me know before that morning.

Quoting davidwifey: I am so glad mt employer is more understanding.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)