Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*update* Don't get your hopes up. We will probably be open on Friday.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
You should all be happy to know that I have officially closed for the day. None of my employees will die trying to get to work.
Have a wonderful weekend.

Yes there's a snow storm coming. Yes, it's supposed to get shitty.
But we live in Vermont. If you're not prepared to drive in snow, move to the fucking Bahamas.

I'm so tired of being asked about closing on Friday. Well, as of right now, we're open. By 530 Friday morning, I'll know whether I'm shutting down or not, not a minute sooner.

I'm so tired of listening to whining. I'm sorry your commute is an hour long, no one forced you to move an hour away and no one is forcing you to work here. That's a personal choice that I didn't make, you did.

I will be writing up those people who "can't make it in because of the snow." We all know it's coming, be prepared to come to work.
We very rarely close our doors and everyone knows that.

Alright, I feel better now. I can't curse at my employees, so you get that treat.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 3, 2018 at 1:40 PM
Replies (71-80):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:47 PM

Quoting TwoPennies: I’m in North Carolina. We panic and close the schools, the businesses and city hall for 3 flakes. For 5 flakes we declare the world is officially ending and ya “better get right with god.” We’re supposed to get an inch of snow over the course of today/tonight. An INCH. We already done lost our minds up in here. Schools have let out, businesses are boarding up, Greg Fishel is damn near having a mouth orgasm salivating at saying the word “snow.” North Carolina is a shit show in so many ways. This is just one of many....😳❄️

Are businesses really boarding up? LOL

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:47 PM

Ok, well that is fair.

Quoting Anonymous 1: If it turned into a blizzard and a state of emergency, the schools would be closed, therefore I would be closed too and no one would be written up. If they just don't like driving in the snow, they need to let me know ahead of time or they're getting written up. I emailed everyone stating that I'm expecting everyone to be at work unless we've already made arrangements for you take the day off or we shut down.
Quoting Anonymous 14:

I get it and all, and the constant questions are stupid.  This part is messed up in some cases thouhg: "I will be writing up those people who "can't make it in because of the snow." We all know it's coming, be prepared to come to work. " what if it turns into blizzard and state of emergency, will you write people up for not coming in?  Yes, people can wake up early, shovel, snow blow, de-ice, and be prepared for it, but some things you CAN'T control, like whiteout conditions.  I get if they are not wanting to risk their lives for work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:47 PM
Well, if that were the case, schools would be closed and therefore so would I.
If the schools are open, the roads aren't that bad and people can drive to work.
I run a childcare center that caters to educators. So, if schools aren't closed, those teachers and administrators still need childcare.

Quoting Anonymous 16:

What happens when the state declares the roads only be used by necessary means and emergency personelle only???? still writting them up? what kind of business do you run?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:52 PM

You are a bitch for writing people up who can't make it due to dangerous driving conditions. 

If my governor or state official says not to drive I'm not driving risking my life to work for a company that doesn't care about their employees. 

I currently live in Texas and several companies got in trouble when Harvey hit for writing people up or firing them for not being able to come to work. 

Do you want these people who live far away to sleep in the parking lot or are you foot the bill for a hotel?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Yes there's a snow storm coming. Yes, it's supposed to get shitty. But we live in Vermont. If you're not prepared to drive in snow, move to the fucking Bahamas. I'm so tired of being asked about closing on Friday. Well, as of right now, we're open. By 530 Friday morning, I'll know whether I'm shutting down or not, not a minute sooner. I'm so tired of listening to whining. I'm sorry your commute is an hour long, no one forced you to move an hour away and no one is forcing you to work here. That's a personal choice that I didn't make, you did. I will be writing up those people who "can't make it in because of the snow." We all know it's coming, be prepared to come to work. We very rarely close our doors and everyone knows that. Alright, I feel better now. I can't curse at my employees, so you get that treat.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:54 PM
Encouraging people to drive in hazardous conditions seems like a liability.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:56 PM
I hate companies that do that. It's none of your f****** business where I live. I don't care if I live next door if I'm not scheduled to work I am not obligated to come in. I worked for a company that tried doing that to me and they called me and told me that I had to come in after I have already worked my full hours that week and I was not on the schedule. They said that because I live two miles from the office I had to come in. I told them no I don't and they threatened to fire me. I told them that if they fire me I will sue for wrongful termination. I ended up deciding to be a stay-at-home mom after they treated me that way I waited until right before hurricane season hit and there was hurricane coming and I was supposed to work the hurricane and I quit

Quoting Anonymous 4:

I work in a restaurant..we do NOT fire people for not coming to work...what we do is have a snow plan-the closest  scheduled  people are expected to come in for work-meaning myself and the GM will probably be the only ones working tomorrow-he will PICK up and transport anyone else he wants to come in...Now if you refuse to come in when offered a ride in a 4 wheel drive vehicle ( both ways) then you will find your employment at risk.

Whodat34
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 3:12 PM
She works at a daycare for the teachers kids. Which means if the schools are open, the teachers are working, therefore still need childcare

Quoting Anonymous 10:

If it's that bad, most people won't be shopping no matter what the idiots running the store thinks.  The intelligent thing is to close and keep people off the roads but intelligence and management don't seem to go together.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on Jan. 3, 2018 at 3:13 PM

When I lived in GA one year we got several inches of snow, and ice. Even though I lived 45 minutes away the pharmacy I worked for insisted I come in or be fired. I manage to get there only to be told that the pharmacist (who lived within walking distance) wouldn't come in, so they couldn't use me. I asked why no one bothered to call me and was told they didn't think about it. I was so angry I quit on the spot. Got a job at their major competitor a few days later. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 3, 2018 at 3:13 PM

Quoting Anonymous 20: I hate companies that do that. It's none of your f****** business where I live. I don't care if I live next door if I'm not scheduled to work I am not obligated to come in. I worked for a company that tried doing that to me and they called me and told me that I had to come in after I have already worked my full hours that week and I was not on the schedule. They said that because I live two miles from the office I had to come in. I told them no I don't and they threatened to fire me. I told them that if they fire me I will sue for wrongful termination. I ended up deciding to be a stay-at-home mom after they treated me that way I waited until right before hurricane season hit and there was hurricane coming and I was supposed to work the hurricane and I quit
Quoting Anonymous 4:

I work in a restaurant..we do NOT fire people for not coming to work...what we do is have a snow plan-the closest  scheduled  people are expected to come in for work-meaning myself and the GM will probably be the only ones working tomorrow-he will PICK up and transport anyone else he wants to come in...Now if you refuse to come in when offered a ride in a 4 wheel drive vehicle ( both ways) then you will find your employment at risk.

Do you have trouble reading? The closest SCHEDULED people are expected to come in...

We are a tight enough group so that the nearer people would volunteer-the other opener lives 42 miles away -I live 2.5 miles away-I would NEVER want her to have to drive because I was too selfish to help her out.

HER kids aren't any less important than mine are!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Jan. 3, 2018 at 3:15 PM

That sounds like a fair policy. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: Ok. I go by the three school districts around me. If two out of the three or more are closed, I close too. But if schools are open, teachers need to bring their kids to childcare. That's me. I work with just educators' children. If schools are open, so are we.
Quoting owl0210: I'm in Massachusetts and when there's a blizzard warning the governor actually encourages employers to let their employees stay home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)