Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How should I tell my daughter her friend passed away?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 52 Replies
My daughter is 5 and her friend who is the same age as her was diagnosed with brain cancer a few months back and she goes to preschool with him for 2 years and he couldn't attend kindergarten due to cancer and my daughter was upset that he wasn't in school. She been seeing him a lot and she been making get well cards for him. That boy who wanted to go to Disney World from Make a Wish he wanted her to go with him and we went with him and his parents and every moment was priceless he wasn't in the hospital he was having fun being a child and spending time with my daughter. Things took turn for the worse for him and he was in the hospital on Christmas and yesterday his body couldn't handle it anymore he fell to eternal sleep as in he passed away and his parents posted on Facebook. I was crying because that was my daughter's best friend and my husband told me to calm down and I told him "what if it was our daughter? They lost their son.". I don't know how to tell my daughter and I read on his mom's face page that he will be cremated and post update when his service is. What should I say?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kcangel63
by Fertile Myrtle on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell her he was so sick and his body just got too tired.

I’m sorry. :(
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:16 PM
You tell her the truth. They the cancer was too much for him to take and he died. Take her to the funeral if she wants. Answer her questions.
DobbyNeedsaSock
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:16 PM
2 moms liked this
I would be honest, and tell her that the disease had become too much and that he went to heaven. I would make sure she knew it was okay to be sad and make sure she knew it was okay to talk about him and all the good times they had.

That is heartbreaking for his family and yours :(
susannah2000
by Emerald Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:17 PM
6 moms liked this

You tell her the truth. That he was so sick that he died, but that he will always be remembered in the hearts of everyone who loved him, and that it is okay to miss him. Help her to remember the joy she had knowing him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Were you not preparing her for this possibility?
susannah2000
by Emerald Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:18 PM

Quoting DobbyNeedsaSock: I would be honest, and tell her that the disease had become too much and that he went to heaven. I would make sure she knew it was okay to be sad and make sure she knew it was okay to talk about him and all the good times they had. That is heartbreaking for his family and yours :(

Except not everyone believes in heaven.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:19 PM

There are some really good books I could suggest. I have used them in my work with children of that age. I also feel like helping her to make a memory book where she draws pictures of he and her together and perhaps writes a few things about her time would him can be a very important way to process this loss.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:19 PM

Truth. 

momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:20 PM

It’s a difficult thing to do, but really all you can do is be honest with her and offer her comfort and support. 

I’m sorry for his family and yours, having to deal with something so heartbreaking.

SweetPea2004
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
If she believes in heaven she can say that her friend did go.

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting DobbyNeedsaSock: I would be honest, and tell her that the disease had become too much and that he went to heaven. I would make sure she knew it was okay to be sad and make sure she knew it was okay to talk about him and all the good times they had.

That is heartbreaking for his family and yours :(

Except not everyone believes in heaven.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)