Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you want

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
As a parent that has a child in an in home day care that doesn't nap or stay quiet with activities while the other napped? I have this 4 year old that doesn't listen to squat. In order to get him to sleep 15 minutes I need to sit next to him until he falls asleep. He always says he needs to go potty so he can get up and walk around yet not go potty. He knows I will never say he can't go. So he milks it.
I'm so over it. I feel he has outgrown my prism about 8 months ago. His mother is due to have a baby next month too.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 3, 2018 at 4:14 PM
Replies (21-29):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 3, 2018 at 10:55 PM
This child isn't getting enough sleep. 9 hours isn't enough.
He can't do anything quietly.

Quoting Anonymous 11: I think he needs activities to do. He is over napping.
Does he sleep at night?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jan. 3, 2018 at 11:01 PM

4 year olds don't always nap.  Can you let him look at books quietly on his bed area during naptime?  This might be a battle not worth fighting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 4, 2018 at 9:14 AM
I have tried that. He turns it into a loud event.

Quoting Anonymous 12:

4 year olds don't always nap.  Can you let him look at books quietly on his bed area during naptime?  This might be a battle not worth fighting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Jan. 4, 2018 at 9:17 AM
Sounds like he's too old for daycare and missed the kindergarten cut off.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 4, 2018 at 9:51 AM
His parents don't want to put him in kinder because he isn't ready.

Quoting Anonymous 13: Sounds like he's too old for daycare and missed the kindergarten cut off.
shadow_lark
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2018 at 9:54 AM
If he won't accept quiet alternatives to napping then have mom find other care. My youngest goes to an in home care and that's what she does. The young ones nap and those who have grown out of naps will read or color or play quietly in another room
ILovemyPaulie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2018 at 9:56 AM

He may not nap anymore. Every child is different.  I'd let him go into another room and watch a TV show or movie during nap time.  Does he have a Leap Pad or a Nintendo DS? Maybe tell the Mom to get him one so he can play games on that to keep him calm and quiet.

mom22Feb
by on Jan. 5, 2018 at 1:30 AM

Sounds like he needs to be with older kids that don't take naps. When he asks to go potty can you say, "In 10 minutes" and then wait to see if he asks again. He is lying to you to manipulate. Have you told the parents so you can devise a plan they are ok with? Sounds like you are ready to close to end the frustration that has replaced your joy when you first started. Make plans and goals and take action.

mompam
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2018 at 7:10 AM
We put on a movie at quiet time. The kids either sleep or stay up and watch the movie. It's not easy, we'll take them out and make them sit in the time out chair or move their mat where they can't see the tv if they're not quiet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)