Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

um....I don't get it. *edit*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 220 Replies
2 moms liked this

So I am a morticians assistant. I help her prepare the bodies, I help her cremate, I assist her during the funeral and I help families pick the best things for their loved ones. It's just she and I. Well my ds had a "job report" to do and then I had to go in and explain...I told him to ask his dad, who is a nurse, because I dont think my job would really be appropriate but he was adamant and already told his teacher that I would be sharing....greeeeeat. 

so yesterday, I was the first parent in class and I asked if it was really ok I talk about my job, the teacher said it was fine so I repeated to her that I clean and dress dead people, she again said it would be fine. of course, my ds was the last to go up and "present me". Before me was a baker, and a fireman, a hotel maid, a publisher, "normal" jobs and then me... All the parents looked at me in horror as I explained to their kids that I put makeup on dead people or stick them in a big oven and turn them into ashes (I tried using 6 year old terms the best I could). Every single kid had questions for me and again I tried to explain the best that I could so I wouldn't terrify the kids.

After everything was said and done and all us parents were leaving this woman and her husband came up and said their kid better not want to be a psycho like me. I looked at them confused and said "I'm sorry?". They then said that no person right in the head would do what I do. Again I looked at them confused and just walked away.

You know...I'm not fond of seeing dead people. I couldn't even look at my ex's uncle sitting in a casket without panicking and I had been working with the mortician for 3 years, I had cleaned and dressed and prepared over 100 people by then and I am still not used to it. I still hold back tears when families come in.

Yes, they pissed me off...and it shouldn't have but my boss is even peeved about it.

Edit: let me clarify. The kids asked about cremation they asked me specific questions and I answered them in child terms, for example, a kid asked how we make people into ashes and I said we apply heat to reduce the body to ashes. They then asked "but how" so I explained that we use an oven to apply the heat. The teacher also sent out a list to each parent showing each job that will be discussed.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 12, 2018 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
libbybell
by on Jan. 12, 2018 at 1:48 PM
10 moms liked this
Someone has to do it. It is a respectable job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 12, 2018 at 1:49 PM
3 moms liked this

the pay isn't bad either if i'm being completely honest

Quoting libbybell: Someone has to do it. It is a respectable job.

krisnkids
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2018 at 1:50 PM

How old were these kids?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 12, 2018 at 1:51 PM

I said in the post. they are 6.

Quoting krisnkids:

How old were these kids?

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 12, 2018 at 1:51 PM
20 moms liked this
That person's an idiot and when one of their loved ones die, they should just toss them in a ditch if they're so opposed to your profession.
CheerioHolder
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2018 at 1:52 PM
3 moms liked this
They must be the psycho ones burying their relatives in the yard, since they clrearly don't understand your job...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 12, 2018 at 1:53 PM
Its in the post..

Quoting krisnkids:

How old were these kids?

LadyEmris
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2018 at 1:53 PM
3 moms liked this
Those people are absurd. There is nothing wrong with your job and they should be grateful people are willing to do it.
happinessforyou
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2018 at 1:54 PM
7 moms liked this

You provide a very necessary service. Thank You.

krisnkids
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2018 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks, I asked to be sure it wasn't a typo.

Who exactly is the moron here? You don't need to tell 6 yo kids that you put dead people in an oven. That's ridiculous. Did the fireman say that he pulls dead bodies from burning buildings? That he gives narcan to od victims who are on the brink of death? Would you expect a fighter pilot to tell 6 yo kids that he drops bombs on people and kills them?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I said in the post. they are 6.

Quoting krisnkids:

How old were these kids?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)