Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What S***hole Country Is Your Family From? ETA

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2018 at 5:12 PM
  • 177 Replies

And why did your ancestors come to the United States when they did?

ETA...if your answer is USA, then I'll be expecting one of the following:

1. Name which native tribe (as some have already done)

2. Describe your family's pre-Revolutionary history (as some have already done)

3. Tell which country you're living in now (NOT the USA)

My people came from Ireland and Italy.  There's one branch of the family which likely is here long enough that they probably came here because of the potato famine.  But the ones I'm more familiar with came closer to 1910ish, so their reason for leaving would likely have been due to the Crown's habit of keeping the Irish Catholics terribly poor and squished tightly under it's thumb, as well as the horribly violent Irish response to such.  

My Italian grandfathers came because they just couldn't make a living in Italy at the time...1900-1920 ish...even as skilled craftsmen. My great great actually came, made a bunch of money, and then went back as was common practice at the time.  His son, my great grandfather, came for the same reason and then stayed. Because why go back and set your sons up to have to leave THEIR families for years just to make enough to feed and clothe everyone?

Don't text while driving.

---Janice---

by on Jan. 12, 2018 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my4kids274
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2018 at 5:13 PM

Italy and Ireland

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 12, 2018 at 5:13 PM
USA 🇺🇸
HOT4TCHR
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2018 at 5:16 PM

Quoting Anonymous 1: USA 🇺🇸

And before that?

Don't text while driving.

---Janice---

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2018 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

My paternal grandparents came to this country in 1917 from Russia, fleeing the Revolution.

My materal grandparents came from England and Germany - near as we can figure, in the early 1800's.  They had money - a lot of it.  Managed to lose it all though once they got here.

And while Trump never should have said what he did, and I am in NO WAY a Trump supporter - some of those countries ARE shithole countries.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 12, 2018 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

England, Germany, Ireland, Scotland, Norway, Ukraine (OR Poland, OR Austria depending on what source I go by), Switzerland, Holland, and some others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 12, 2018 at 5:16 PM
My grandpa came here right before the start of World War 2. He lost many family members in the Holocaust and lost his religion as well. He blamed God and the Jews who refused to assimilate for the Holocaust :(
ihave1
1 mom liked this
My family came from Scotland on dads side. My maiden name (who new?) is Scottish.

My moms side is Garmen and Polish. I look Polish according to a Polish lady I met once.

My husband is from Pakistan.

Quoting HOT4TCHR:

And why did your ancestors come to the United States when they did?

My people came from Ireland and Italy.  There's one branch of the family which likely is here long enough that they probably came here because of the potato famine.  But the ones I'm more familiar with came closer to 1910ish, so their reason for leaving would likely have been due to the Crown's habit of keeping the Irish Catholics terribly poor and squished tightly under it's thumb, as well as the horribly violent Irish response to such.  

My Italian grandfathers came because they just couldn't make a living in Italy at the time...1900-1920 ish...even as skilled craftsmen. My great great actually came, made a bunch of money, and then went back as was common practice at the time.  His son, my great grandfather, came for the same reason and then stayed. Because why go back and set your sons up to have to leave THEIR families for years just to make enough to feed and clothe everyone?

SDmomma-3
Ireland and Poland.
Twinklesthecat
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2018 at 5:17 PM
You're Native Indian ??

Quoting Anonymous 1: USA 🇺🇸
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 12, 2018 at 5:17 PM
2 moms liked this
My grandparents came from Denmark after WWII. My grandfathers were Merchant Mariners and had a lot of interaction with Americans through the course of their service guarding war supply transports.

They came to NYC in search of the American Dream.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)