Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So they want to stay at our house and not take our kids?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My husband's parents are planning on coming to visit in the spring. We live relatively close to Disney World so they asked as their Christmas presents for us to get them 7 Day tickets to Disney World. The plan was for them to take the kids for a couple of days and then we would all go together for a couple of days and then they would go a few days just the two of them. I work from home. Well they called us and told us that they decided to bring sister-in-law's kids because she has to work through spring break which happens to line up with ours so this way she doesn't have to pay for childcare. She also lives in Florida but further up north. The kids have annual tickets from their dad. I annoyed because they didn't even ask if it was okay to bring three additional children to stay with us. But then they went on to say that they don't think that they could take all 6 of the kids ( my three since the baby would stay with me and her three) so since they're bringing her kids they can either just take her kids during the week when they go to Disney World or they can trade off days but the days they take my kids her kids would have to stay home with me. And then of course when my husband and I go we will all go.

This is not at all what I agreed to. I thought it would be nice for them to take the older kids while they're on spring break so that I can get some work done at home. Not so that either my kids can sit at home while their grandparents who are staying with us can use the tickets that we bought for them to take their other grandchildren to Disney World or so that I could babysit three other kids.

I told my husband and I told him I was not happy about it and he agreed. He felt that it was rude for them to assume that they could bring the other kids and rude that they plan on leaving our kids home when we bought the tickets so that they could take our kids. He called and told them to just forget it. Thankfully we didn't buy the tickets yet. We set the money aside to buy them but we figured it made more sense just to wait until they came down to buy them.

Now they are mad at us and my sister-in-law is mad at us because her kids aren't going to Disney World now and she may have to pay for childcare. But I think the only people who have the right to be mad is us. It feels like they didn't want to see our kids at all. They just wanted a free hotel to take the other kids to Disney World. I almost feel like this has been the plan all along
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2018 at 10:28 AM
Replies (151-158):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 27 on Jan. 14, 2018 at 7:19 AM
Who the hell ASKS for such an extravagant gift? WHO asks for gifts period besides children!!!

Quoting Anonymous 25:

They asked that their Christmas present be tickets to Disney World. Now the OP wants to deny them their Christmas present.

Quoting Anonymous 27: They ASKED
How is that a gift?

Quoting Anonymous 25:

Every one is mad at every one.

You were supposed to give a gift of tickets to Disney World. Gifts don't come with strings attached. You need to follow through with your gift of tickets.

They were supposed to come alone, and are now brining three extra bodies with them. That's presumtious of them. They can now find a hotel for themselves and the extra kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 36 on Jan. 14, 2018 at 7:41 AM

Im on Team you OP!!   they are rude as F

lissadavis
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2018 at 10:19 AM

Their plan actually makes sense to me. It actually sounds like you were expecting to get free childcare during your parent's visit. If 7 day passes to Disney was supposed to be your gift to them then it should have come without strings. I would not give someone a gift that they were only welcome to if they were doing something for me. They said they would take your kids and take her kids another day. The only thing they should have asked about was bringing the extra kids to your house, but I would have no issues take a few extra kids for a week so my kids could spend time with their cousins.

lissadavis
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2018 at 10:21 AM

a lot of people will ask what someone wants for Christmas or a birthday. It is quite common, I do not see it as any worse than giving a gift card.

Quoting Anonymous 27: Who the hell ASKS for such an extravagant gift? WHO asks for gifts period besides children!!!
Quoting Anonymous 25:

They asked that their Christmas present be tickets to Disney World. Now the OP wants to deny them their Christmas present.

Quoting Anonymous 27: They ASKED How is that a gift?
Quoting Anonymous 25:

Every one is mad at every one.

You were supposed to give a gift of tickets to Disney World. Gifts don't come with strings attached. You need to follow through with your gift of tickets.

They were supposed to come alone, and are now brining three extra bodies with them. That's presumtious of them. They can now find a hotel for themselves and the extra kids.

LogansMom1113
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2018 at 10:23 AM
I enjoy my nieces and nephews so I would have loved to see them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 37 on Jan. 14, 2018 at 10:23 AM
100% on your side. Theyโ€™re idiots.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 38 on Jan. 14, 2018 at 10:47 AM
They probably thought that you had already bought the tickets so then they figured they could ambush you. Very rude.

I also have nieces and nephews that in a million years would never allowed be allowed to stay at my house a week while I needed to work.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 39 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 12:13 AM
Itโ€™s sad that family can not help each other out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)