Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Normal babysitting fee?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Someone asked me to watch there 8 month old. What's the normal rate?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2018 at 4:56 PM
Replies (131-134):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 6:49 AM

Quoting mmtosam06: No they're not withholding SS. I'm paid full amount every week in cash.
Quoting Anonymous 3:

Quoting mmtosam06: Childcare providers. If you provide child care, either in the child's home or in your home or other place of business, the pay you receive must be included in your income. If you are not an employee, you are probably self-employed and must include payments for your services on Schedule C (Form 1040), Profit or Loss From Business, or Schedule C-EZ (Form 1040), Net Profit From Business. You generally are not an employee unless you are subject to the will and control of the person who employs you as to what you are to do and how you are to do it. Babysitting. If you babysit for relatives or neighborhood children, whether on a regular basis or only periodically, the rules for childcare providers apply to you.
Quoting mmtosam06: Yes I claim every penny of it. I do it at her house.
Quoting Anonymous 3:

Quoting mmtosam06: Yes she does ask for my SS when claiming it. I have nothing to hide from the IRS as I get her SS number too when I file.
Quoting Anonymous 3:

Quoting mmtosam06: They do claim it.
Quoting Anonymous 3:

Quoting mmtosam06: I'm paid in cash
Quoting Anonymous 3:

Quoting mmtosam06: I have done it and still do
Quoting Anonymous 3:

Quoting mmtosam06: Actually if you make $400 a month babysitting you can claim that as income per IRS
Quoting Anonymous 3:

Quoting Anonymous 1: 7.50 an he. That seems reasonable?
Quoting corticosteroid:

$1200 a month.

You aren't licensed.  She won't be able to claim a child care credit-you won't be paying taxes on this income.

Babysitting and "daycare" are different.

With daycare ( which is what you will be doing) you have a set rate, and SHOULD have a contract.  Which SHOULD include things like paid vacations ( for the weeks SHE is on vacation) You SHOULD ( unless you take vacation or other time off that requires her to pay another caregiver) get paid for 52 weeks of the year.

Where in NY are you?  Because in the expensive areas $300 is a good start for unlicensed. Upstate the $225-$250 range would be more competative...remembering that unless you pay taxes on the money and give her your SS# you will be getting the money untaxed and she cannot claim the child care credit.

Of course you can-you can also claim the $500 you find in the street-or the $900 you make playing poker with the guys-but how many people actually do that?

And you pay in 17% to SS and your medicare taxes as well right?

And if you aren't claiming that cash you are commiting tax fraud-and if your employer is not witholding SS and medicare and unemployment from your wages-THEY are commiting fraud as well ( assuming yu wourk out of their home ( which a nanny normally would do)

If they have your SS# and claim the child tax credit and you aren't claiming the money-you are screwed.

I meant the child care credit-and they need your SS# to do that...if they claim it and you aren't paying taxes, eventually ( and it might take up to 5 years )-the IRS will come after you.

Then they are  creating a paper trail-which would show they are not paying "nanny taxes". Or do you work out of your own home?

Do you claim every penny of the cash they pay you?

Does it show up on your SS record?

You didn't answer my question-are they paying into SS and medicare for you? And if thye are-how do they withhold YOUR portion of those taxes-and are you sure they are sending them in?

Do you file quarterly on your income, ? Or are they filing on your behalf-because as you work out of their home, they are legally required to do so.

Have you checked your SS record to be sure they are sending in the money they are supposed to be sending in?

Then they-and you are violating the law.

It's called tax evasion.

And they should be paying that for you-and you should be putting in your own share as well.

Farthermore you should be filing extimated quarterly taxes on your income-not merely paying at the end of the year.

Hasn't the IRS dinged you for this yet?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 7:03 AM
100$
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 7:19 AM
Is your only qualification, that you are a mother?

If so, I would not pay you more than $275/week for an infant & it would be less as they got older.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2018 at 7:23 AM
No, I have an early childhood degree, cpr and first aid certified. I used to work for the Preschool room at our head start..

It doesnt matter though, she didn't want to pay me enough and I couldn't make it work on $60 a week because she refused to provide supplies

Quoting Marti123: Is your only qualification, that you are a mother?

If so, I would not pay you more than $275/week for an infant & it would be less as they got older.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)