Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I AM FUMING RIGHT NOW!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm so damn upset with humanity right now! My elderly uncle called me to ask if my husband could come shovel his drive way out for him. We got about a foot of snow the last night. My uncle does not drive, so it was not like needed to run errands. He just wanted it shoveled and rightfully so. He didn't want the mailman or anyone else to have to trek through over a foot of snow to get to his door. DH was going out to run a couple errands and pick our youngest up from karate, so he said he would go out to uncles right after. My uncle said fine, he'll see him in a bit. 

My uncle is 83 years old and not in great health, but his body is wearing out. Forty minutes after he had called me, I get a frantic phone call from my husband. My uncle decided he didn't want to wait for DH and started to shovel out the driveway himself. HES 83! He ended up collapsing and had a mild heart attack! We live about 10 minutes away, so I jumped in my car and got over there as quickly as I could. 

When I get to my uncles, there is a crowd of fucking people, including his next door neighbor and the guy from across the street. Both had been snowblowing their own driveways. As the ambulance is loading my uncle in to it, the next door neighbor is telling my DH that he saw my uncle start to shovel and collapse, he then called 911. 

These people know my uncle is elderly! Neither of them offered to help him shovel or snow blow his driveway! The guy across the street actually finished his driveway up before walking across the street to see what was going on. Both claimed to have seen him start shoveling and collapse!  WHAT THE FUCK!? I am so pissed! So pissed! Have we become such a selfish society that helping an elderly person isn't something they are willing to do? They both know he's old, they both know he's had health issues, but thought nothing of watching this poor man attempt to shovel one foot of fucking snow himself without offering to help? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2018 at 5:02 PM
Replies (111-120):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 41 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 5:33 AM
It’s not required for them to take care of your uncles property. Your uncle should have waited.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 42 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 5:51 AM
My grandma is 95 and only quit shoveling her own snow after she turned 90. She would not have allowed anyone else to do it until she decided to stop, and now she only allows family to do it. Not all elderly people are too fragile to complete tasks involving light labor and some elderly people are stubborn enough to decline assistance if offered. Just because your uncle asks for your help doesn't mean that he will ask or accept help from neighbors. This is all on your uncle.
Moonauthor
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:25 AM
What state do you live in? Might want to make moving plans.

Quoting Momtoone07: Makes me glad to live where I live. None of us are old and we all help each other out. My entire state is cool. If you break down on the side of the road, every other person that comes along will ask if you need help.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 43 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 12:26 PM

theres so much wrong here where do i start. 1st uncle shouldve wited 2nd dh shouldve went there first. 3rd damn ass lazy neighbors . Boids down to uncle shoulve know better though.

Momtoone07
by Emerald Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Maine. We still give a crap about each other up here.

Quoting Moonauthor: What state do you live in? Might want to make moving plans.

Quoting Momtoone07: Makes me glad to live where I live. None of us are old and we all help each other out. My entire state is cool. If you break down on the side of the road, every other person that comes along will ask if you need help.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 44 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 12:32 PM
I don't understand people like that. My grandparents had awesome neighbors who would mow their lawn if neighbors were mowing theirs, shovel snow etc.

We talked to the neighbors to thank them and both said even though Grandma and Grandpa are in good health why should they do yard work when the neighbors are already doing their yard and can come do grandparentS yard.

Heck they even invited Grandpa over for dinner once week when Grandma died.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 45 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 12:51 PM

Your uncle is 83yrs old...he's an adult and can make his own decisions and its not the neighbor's job to babysit him.

Why didn't your uncle wait for your husband to come do it like he said he would...you said yourself he didn't need to go anywhere so it wasn't an urgent manner.

This is ALL on your uncle

Anonymous
by Anonymous 46 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 2:19 PM
If your uncle is making horrible choices that is endangering his life, perhaps it's time to put him in a home.
happinessforyou
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 2:24 PM

It's hard for older people to realize they are, well, old..... The head is willing but the body cannot get there anymore. I hope it turns out okay. This might be a good time to talk to him about assisted living, paying for snow removal? IDK- just making some decisions that make it easier as he ages. GL

dawnrothbaum
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 3:58 PM
I understand you are upset. I hope your uncle heals quickly.
Having said that, I think you are putting too much blame on the neighbors. They are definitely going to work on their own property first. They need to focus on the machine, not watch what other people are doing.
This certainly could have been prevented if your uncle had patience. Or asked a neighbor for help. Or hired someone to plow.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)