Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Talk to me about raising chickens

Posted by   + Show Post
I may finally have hubby convinced to let me get chickens. We have a fairly large back yard but we also have dogs so they will need to be contained. We live in southern ca so it doesn’t get very cold here. I’d like to raise chickens for eggs plus they are cute. So what would a set up for about 5 birds look like? How much space do they need, what kinds of supplies do you need to make sure they are happy and healthy?
by on Jan. 13, 2018 at 8:33 PM
Replies (31-36):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2018 at 1:11 AM
I think I got lucky with my rooster. He is a sweetie.

Chickens are pretty simple.

A coop, few nesting boxes, fresh water, a roost, food and an outdoor run.

We have a grow lamp on for 15 hours a day to help promote egg production.
LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2018 at 12:37 PM
I thought it was odd too, I mean we don’t have room for either but it’s an odd restriction. There are areas in the city that are zoned for horses. We can also have goats, my daughter is trying to talk me into a mini donkey.

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

That's good. I don't understand why you can have cows but not horses. They're roughly the same size. 

Quoting LCWAmommy: I’m zoned for chickens, pigs, sheep and cows. No horses. We are on the edge of the city near what was a small farm.

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

The first thing you have to do is make sure that you are zoned for chickens. You generally aren't allowed to have them in suburban neighborhoods. You need to have some kind of a coop and a pen. My husband built ours but you can buy them too. 

Cowgirl_Coyote
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2018 at 1:49 PM

That is odd. We're zoned for everything that is legal. No lions, tigers, or bears (oh my), which isn't a problem for us. We don't want anything that has the potential to eat our children, lol. We have a small farm, dogs, cats, horses, cows, chickens, ducks, rabbits, sheep, goats, a pig, and a mule. My friend just adopted a baby donkey rescued from Hurricane Irma. Her name actually is Irma. She's adorable! Just keep in mind that "mini" is a misleading term. A mini donkey is not a tiny house pet. Don't get one unless you have the space and ability to care for it. 

Quoting LCWAmommy: I thought it was odd too, I mean we don’t have room for either but it’s an odd restriction. There are areas in the city that are zoned for horses. We can also have goats, my daughter is trying to talk me into a mini donkey.
Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

That's good. I don't understand why you can have cows but not horses. They're roughly the same size. 

Quoting LCWAmommy: I’m zoned for chickens, pigs, sheep and cows. No horses. We are on the edge of the city near what was a small farm.
Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

The first thing you have to do is make sure that you are zoned for chickens. You generally aren't allowed to have them in suburban neighborhoods. You need to have some kind of a coop and a pen. My husband built ours but you can buy them too. 

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2018 at 2:49 PM
Yeah she’s not getting a mini donkey, she can look at them all she wants when we visit my parents. There’s a whole mini donkey farm and a mini horse farm.

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

That is odd. We're zoned for everything that is legal. No lions, tigers, or bears (oh my), which isn't a problem for us. We don't want anything that has the potential to eat our children, lol. We have a small farm, dogs, cats, horses, cows, chickens, ducks, rabbits, sheep, goats, a pig, and a mule. My friend just adopted a baby donkey rescued from Hurricane Irma. Her name actually is Irma. She's adorable! Just keep in mind that "mini" is a misleading term. A mini donkey is not a tiny house pet. Don't get one unless you have the space and ability to care for it. 

Quoting LCWAmommy: I thought it was odd too, I mean we don’t have room for either but it’s an odd restriction. There are areas in the city that are zoned for horses. We can also have goats, my daughter is trying to talk me into a mini donkey.

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

Cowgirl_Coyote
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2018 at 2:57 PM

Aww how cute! I would love to visit a mini donkey and mini horse farm. I wouldn't mind a mini donkey but we have so many animals already, and yet we keep getting more, lol. We just got a puppy even though we have a house full. 

Quoting LCWAmommy: Yeah she’s not getting a mini donkey, she can look at them all she wants when we visit my parents. There’s a whole mini donkey farm and a mini horse farm.
Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

rockymtngirl
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2018 at 3:01 PM
I have 5 chickens. We have a hen house we bought from Costco. My dh added on an area so they have more room when they are contained. We built a fence around the house where they have plenty of area to free range. They are very easy to care for and are social, friendly critters.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)