Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They want to run away

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
I took my DD and two of her friends ice skating this weekend and on the way back home I overheard a conversation the other two were having (DD was in the passenger seat and they were in the back). They both were saying that they were going to run away from home and they already had plans of where they would go and how they would get there. These girls are 11 and 12, and I know the preteen angst is real, so I didn’t want to overdramatize it, but I feel like that’s not a conversation I can just ignore. I talked to my DD about it tonight and she passed it off as them being stupid and “edgy” and said she knows they would never do it, but that doesn’t convince me.

Would you say something to their parents? I know I would want someone to tell me if my DD was talking about running away, but I also don’t want to create problems for the girls - especially if they are already suffering somehow at home.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2018 at 1:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 1:05 AM
Say nothing. If they go missing, you know where to send them. If you say something, you risk making big issues over, potentially, nothing but false drama.
LovlyRita
by Meter Maid on Jan. 15, 2018 at 1:06 AM

I would have said something to the girls while they were in my car.  They would have kept quiet if they did not want to be stopped.  Yes, I would tell the parents. It takes a village and sometimes we need a “heads up” from other adults in our kids lives. 

mommy2boys03
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 1:18 AM
I would say aomething to the parents. My conscience wouldn't let me not say something. I would even say you hearc it while driving them this way they don't think your daughter told you. If you don't and say after the run the parents might blame you for not telling.

When I was in high school a friend told her mom that she was at my house. The mother called and my mom informed her that the girl was not there and never was that night. The mother then blamed my mom for the girl lying and eventually it was my fault her daughter got pregnant. To the mom it was everyone else's fault that she didn't know where her daughter was or that she was sneaking out because some of tbe other moms didn't tell her when her daughter snuck out of their homes.
angkorsaway
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 1:23 AM
Tough.... Probably 30 years ago a person would say something. Today, I am not so sure…
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jan. 15, 2018 at 1:40 AM
I would give the parents a heads up. Do you know exactly the place they said they wanted to go?

Our kids' friends (and their parents) know that if the kids need a break from their homes for awhile, they can come to our house. Our house is a "safe place". Many of our teenagers' friends have taken me up on that offer over the years. A few have stayed a couple months a few times. I've always given the parents a heads up when I know that they are staying more than a couple nights.
Shabby-Chic
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 1:43 AM
After a couple of nights? That's messed up.

Quoting Kmakksmom: I would give the parents a heads up. Do you know exactly the place they said they wanted to go?

Our kids' friends (and their parents) know that if the kids need a break from their homes for awhile, they can come to our house. Our house is a "safe place". Many of our teenagers' friends have taken me up on that offer over the years. A few have stayed a couple months a few times. I've always given the parents a heads up when I know that they are staying more than a couple nights.
redheadtmk
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 1:43 AM

This. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: Say nothing. If they go missing, you know where to send them. If you say something, you risk making big issues over, potentially, nothing but false drama.

SaskMummy
by Mandy on Jan. 15, 2018 at 1:44 AM
I would yes
redheadtmk
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 1:45 AM

It doesnt say AFTER a couple of nights, it says when she knows they will be staying a couple of nights. As in she knows before hand that they need to stay more than one night.

Quoting Shabby-Chic: After a couple of nights? That's messed up.
Quoting Kmakksmom: I would give the parents a heads up. Do you know exactly the place they said they wanted to go? Our kids' friends (and their parents) know that if the kids need a break from their homes for awhile, they can come to our house. Our house is a "safe place". Many of our teenagers' friends have taken me up on that offer over the years. A few have stayed a couple months a few times. I've always given the parents a heads up when I know that they are staying more than a couple nights.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jan. 15, 2018 at 1:48 AM
Usually when kids come over, their parents already know they're staying for at least a couple nights. It's never a one night sleepover here. :)

Quoting Shabby-Chic: After a couple of nights? That's messed up.

Quoting Kmakksmom: I would give the parents a heads up. Do you know exactly the place they said they wanted to go?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)