Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New mom programs

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

We found out over the weekend that step-daughter is pregnant. She and her bf have been together for over a year, but they are young adults. So dh and I are putting together a list of programs that they can apply for assistance. Thankfully I called the insurance company and dh's insurance will cover her maternity care. 

I am suggesting WIC and Kchip-for when the baby is born. Does your community have any other programs that I can see if we have available?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Honesty, if they are old enough to get pregnant they are old enough to find resources to help themselves
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:33 AM
Unless you know for a fact they need help this can come off as offensive. Not everyone needs welfare when they’re pregnant.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:34 AM
Food pantries
nattyleilani
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:34 AM

It's admirable that you're helping so much! My OBs office has all kinds of flyers and pamphlets about different things. You could also call the hospital and see what kind of parenting classes they have. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:39 AM

Ah thanks! I'll try that. 

Quoting nattyleilani:

It's admirable that you're helping so much! My OBs office has all kinds of flyers and pamphlets about different things. You could also call the hospital and see what kind of parenting classes they have. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:40 AM

Agreed. But still needed for them in this case. Thanks for you input.

Quoting peanutsmommy1: Honesty, if they are old enough to get pregnant they are old enough to find resources to help themselves

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:44 AM
I'd call the local welfare office, they would know about all your local resources. Our welfare office does a bag for each new mom who needs it and asks. It's large and full of clothes and newborn blankets.

They will be able to point you in the right direction!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:47 AM

Congratulations to your step-daughter on her pregnancy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:47 AM
I don't foresee this playing out so well. It's time for them to grow up, not for you to continue coddling SD and handing everything to her. Will you raise the child for her as well?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:51 AM

Good idea. Thanks. 

Quoting Anonymous 4: I'd call the local welfare office, they would know about all your local resources. Our welfare office does a bag for each new mom who needs it and asks. It's large and full of clothes and newborn blankets. They will be able to point you in the right direction!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)