Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single mothers raising boys

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies
1 mom liked this
Do you think it’s possible for a single mother to raise a real man? To raise a doctor, lawyer, or a successful man in general? My cousin laughed when I told her that I’ll raise my son to become a real man. Yes, some days are just HARD, but I have this. I finished college when he was a month old, because I am his first example of what he should be in life. He is 6 months now. I read to him every nigh, play ABC, number songs & more. I’m always with my son except when I’m working. I bust my ass to get to where I am now. I am a RN. I work hard so I can make sure that he never goes without. His daddy walked out on us when I was pregnant & never looked back. He told me that my son wasn’t his. It’s my job to never fail my son. I am not just raising my son. I am raising someone’s husband and someone’s father.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2018 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 1:57 PM
I have two very close friends who have raised their now twenty three year old sons alone. They did have lots of involvement from grandfather's and that was a blessing. Both graduated two years from excellent colleges, top of their classes. One is in premed and has plans to become a pediatrician. He is a triathlon and has visited several countries volunteering his time and talents as an emergency medical technician. One is a certified public accountant and will be moving to new York city where he was recruited with one of the biggest financial management companies in the nation. These are kind, intelligent and compassionate men. They had mother's who were one hundred percent invested in them and encouraged education and sports. You can do it! You will do it!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 1:59 PM
My mom was a single mom to 3 kids and my brother is a banker for a large branch. He went to college 5 years. He makes a comfortable income and is married to a PA. He's a sweet smart. Hopefully a niece or nephew will be next !
Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Jan. 15, 2018 at 1:59 PM
2 moms liked this
Explain what a “real” man is first.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 2:00 PM
Lol, real man. What a stupid term.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 2:00 PM

Quoting Pink.Sunshine: Explain what a “real” man is first.
DezarooMama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is already a better man than his father ever was. Every time he does something more emotionally mature than his father, I am glad that I chose to get my son out of that life.

I know he’s going to be a good man. Maybe not as masculine as some. But he will be a decent human being with integrity.

I have no doubt about that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 2:05 PM
I'm not trying to discourage you, but it's easy when theyre only 6 months old.

Raising a successful man isn't quite the same thing as raising a decent human being.

I was a single mom to a boy for 12 years. I couldn't have done it without my dad, a few uncles, and my grandather. A few men from my church also stepped up to provide mentorship. There are things they instilled in him that I never would've thought of. There's a bond, a connection that boys need that mom alone just can't manage.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 2:06 PM
4 moms liked this
Raise your son to be a good person, not some warped idea of what a “real man” is.
muzzyh
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 2:07 PM
Your cousin is a moron.
MissTuree
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 2:11 PM
Boys need male influence, just as girls do. But that doesn't have to be from a father. My son is 13 and is a turning out to be a great young man. He's had me 100% of course, but also my dad and my brother. Especially my brother. My brother has been very constant in his life and is a great example for him of being a hardworking, kind person...who happens to be a man. haha
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)