Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to get your baby to sleep?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies
How do you get a baby to sleep through the night without letting them cry?
I am not ok with letting my baby feel insecure or cry so I won't do any form of cio or move him out of my bed yet. If that's how you did it that's great for you but that isn't going to happen here, not trying to be rude just trying to get that out of the way so I don't have to write it repeatedly in replies.
I really want my baby (14 months) to start sleeping through the night. He sleeps in my bed and still wakes up to nurse (only for a minute or two, not actually nurse) about 3 times a night. What are your tricks or tips that helped you get your baby to sleep through the night? Or is it just a time thing and he'll get there eventually?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2018 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 3:07 PM
He’s not a baby. He’s a toddler. And he has you whipped. Have fun letting your little monster run your life!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 3:09 PM
We co slept and I nursed as well. I never tried to stop her from nursing during the night. It didn't interrupt my rest, I just rolled her from one side to the other and went back to sleep 😴
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2018 at 3:10 PM
Semantics. He's the "baby" here because I have three older, respectful, well behaved children/teens. Just because I'm not ok with letting my little ones feel insecure or cry it out doesn't mean they're going to be out of control monsters.
Thank you for your helpful advice.

Quoting Anonymous 2: He�s not a baby. He�s a toddler. And he has you whipped. Have fun letting your little monster run your life!
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 3:12 PM
http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

I followed this method with my kids. Never really let them cry overnight. Now that they’re older they’ll fuss a bit at bedtime but as long as we stick to their routine they know it’s cominy and settle in well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Meh. He will sleep through the night when he is ready. Nothing unusual about a 14 month old still waking up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2018 at 3:15 PM
I have sleep issues myself. If I could do that I would have no problems! My issue is it takes forever for me to fall asleep so by the time I fall asleep he is awake within the hour. I can usually fall straight back to sleep that time but once I get about 2-3 hours of sleep the next time he wakes me up it takes forever for me to fall asleep again and he usually wakes up within an hour of me falling back to sleep again. Because of that, I'm getting about 4-5, interrupted, hours of sleep a night. I have three older kids who I homeschool so I can't just sleep during the day or anything to make up for the sleep I'm not getting at night.

Quoting Anonymous 3: We co slept and I nursed as well. I never tried to stop her from nursing during the night. It didn't interrupt my rest, I just rolled her from one side to the other and went back to sleep 😴
nattyleilani
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 3:19 PM

First, you need to transition the baby out of your bed. If he doesn't already have a pacifier, perhaps now would be the time to introduce one. By 14 months, babies should be able to self soothe, at least a little. My youngest was weaned at 16 months, and that was the only thing that helped her sleep through the night. I'd put her in bed, and sometimes I'd sit at her door just so she'd know I was there, other times I'd read stories but only if she was already in her crib. It's tough, but you need to do it!

Isaacsmom913
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 3:23 PM
Sorry but at 14 mos he isn’t a baby and can transition to self soothing. At 14 mos we still used a binky and did CIO for a grand total of 3 nights for a total of 45 crying minutes! First night we did 10 min intervals of crying then soothing and it took 25 min. Second night we set timer for 15 min and he was asleep in 20 with 1 check in. 3rd night we set timer for 20 and he was asleep by the 10 min mark (we checked). Fourth night in it was in the crib with binky and zero crying.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2018 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't feel comfortable moving them out of my bed until they're two and I won't wean before then either (I practice baby led weaning though so it's usually longer than two).
He does have a plug and he uses it at night.
I'm more willing to hold out till he's two and just be tired than to push this on him before then.
Thank you though :)

Quoting nattyleilani:

First, you need to transition the baby out of your bed. If he doesn't already have a pacifier, perhaps now would be the time to introduce one. By 14 months, babies should be able to self soothe, at least a little. My youngest was weaned at 16 months, and that was the only thing that helped her sleep through the night. I'd put her in bed, and sometimes I'd sit at her door just so she'd know I was there, other times I'd read stories but only if she was already in her crib. It's tough, but you need to do it!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2018 at 3:25 PM
He's the "baby" in the home because his siblings are much older, not literal baby.
I know many people are ok with that, I'm not.
He does have a plug.
Thank you for your advice.

Quoting Isaacsmom913: Sorry but at 14 mos he isn’t a baby and can transition to self soothing. At 14 mos we still used a binky and did CIO for a grand total of 3 nights for a total of 45 crying minutes! First night we did 10 min intervals of crying then soothing and it took 25 min. Second night we set timer for 15 min and he was asleep in 20 with 1 check in. 3rd night we set timer for 20 and he was asleep by the 10 min mark (we checked). Fourth night in it was in the crib with binky and zero crying.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)