Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you pull your daughter? Edit

Posted by   + Show Post
DD7 has been doing school through home bound because of her immune system, DD9 has been going to school normally. She is really good about changing her clothes, washing her hands, etc after school, to avoid getting her sister sick. However, this year the flu has been bad, and it's starting to go through the school. This is terrifying me, because of YDD's lung issues. I've been debating whether I should keep her home or not, because of the risks.

Would you keep your oldest out if you were in my shoes? I don't want to be paranoid, but I don't want to risk it either...just looking for other parent's perspective...

ETA: DD7 already has compromised lungs, and decreased function. Plus, she currently has 2 different fungal infections in her lungs, so the flu could be very, very dangerous. She has no lymphocytes, so no ability to fight off the virus.
by on Jan. 15, 2018 at 7:02 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Well then that could be a win win if she can still learn, stay in track, and do well at home. Maybe she would enjoy it and you reduce risk.

Quoting LucyMom08: She'd love to stay home, so she's no help, haha...the oncologist told me to use my best judgement. Ugh.

Quoting Anonymous 5: That's extremely hard to answer. I'd try my best not to. Maybe increase the decon protocols for older sister just a bit and try to keep her in school so she can have the most normal life possible. She's also old enough to have a little bit of a say as well. Maybe get her opinion on it and let that help influence your decision.
Curlymom234
by Flamingo lady on Jan. 15, 2018 at 7:41 PM
I probably wouldn’t. That’s not an easy answer though.
2pink1blue
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 7:41 PM

No, but I would up the precautions and have her bathe and change clothes after school.  I would limit contact when necessary and do all that I could to ensure my older child was as healthy as possible though diet, exercise, supplements and handwashing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 7:44 PM
Probably
Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I pulled my son for three weeks when my dd was three. She had all kinds of respiratory issues and there was a virus running rampant in ds's school (it's been a minute, I don't remember what virus) so we pulled him per her Dr's suggestion. The school was awesome, keeping us in contact with teachers so he wouldn't miss any work. He's 23 now and has so resentment about missing the time. I say do what you need to do to protect your dd.
Rinascitalady
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 7:50 PM
I think she should probably stay in school. I would be concerned also but reinforce good preventative measures.
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jan. 15, 2018 at 7:51 PM
Yes, she's still on chemo. We've delayed 2 weeks because of our he fungal infections in her lungs, but she's probably starting again Thursday.

Quoting mommyof11050307: Is your daughter having chemo? I’ve seen bits and pieces but I wasn’t sure what was going on. To be honest I would because I wouldn’t want my sick child to get sicker.
TowerWife
by CrazyDogLady on Jan. 15, 2018 at 7:52 PM
I'd pull her
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jan. 15, 2018 at 7:56 PM
2 moms liked this
It's also her lung issues that have me concerned. On top of no immune system, she has decreased lung function and is currently dealing with 2 different fungal infections in her lungs. That's what makes me so nervous. They can't take the flu...

Quoting Anonymous 20: I don’t know if your dd’s entire situation, but I look at it this way.
I have a 2 month old baby at home with 2 teenaged siblings. The flu is rampant here too and 13 yo DS tested positive for it yesterday.
2 mo old doesn’t have an immune system either (yet anyways). The flu for him could be immediate hospitalization. And it’s already in our house.

It takes a lot of work, but DS doesn’t come out of his room area except to shower, and I disinfect everything every day. Pump the entire family full of vitamins D, C and zinc, and pray.

I wouldn’t pull my kids out of school because of how badly the flu is going around and the fact that we have an infant with no immune system in the house.
We just take the extra precautions and hope like hell it works.

Quoting LucyMom08: Her immune system is not going to be compromised forever. Unfortunately, right now, she has no lymphocytes, so she has no resistance to viruses. And with her lung issues, this year's flu could be very, very dangerous. That's what is worrying me...

Quoting Anonymous 6: If I was your kid and you pulled me from school I would be forever resentful. Unless you plan on keeping your oldest in a bubble to never live life, never go shopping, ect you'll have to deal with her being exposed to germs.

Safe hadwashing and whatever other procedures you're using should be sufficient.
So_Devious20
by Misha Lovegood<3 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 7:57 PM
I think I would pull her.
Better safe than sorry.
And your Dd would have a mini vacation (with schoolwork of course.lol)

But thinking about it, you could literally get it Any Where. A store, work, a friend who shows no symptoms yet.. hmm..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)