Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Flu shot a failure, but doctors still want you to get it

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

Flu shot a failure, but doctors still want you to get it

Flu shots

BURLINGTON, Vt. (WCAX) Vermont is considered a widespread state for this season's influenza. That means patients in more than half of our counties have been diagnosed with flu-like symptoms.

The CDC says just this flu season alone more than 7,000 cases of influenza have been confirmed across the U.S. That means 26 states are considered high intensity and have reported 12-14 percent of patients have flu-like illnesses, including New York City.

In Vermont, only 3 percent of patients have shown symptoms, which means they are part of the widespread population.

"It may just be that Vermont is at a different stage of the evolution of flu this year. And we're catching it at a time it's only 3 percent," said Vermont Health Commissioner Mark Levine.

He says that equates to 18,000 Vermonters with flu symptoms, and that only accounts for people who went to see a doctor about getting sick.

"There's a difference between people seen, or suffer at home," said Levine.

The CDC is calling the flu vaccine a failure this year since the percentage of effectiveness is low across the majority of the country.

"You'd like to see it upward toward 60 percent or more," said Levine.

This year scientists chose the H3N2 strain, and while that could help with other types of influenza nationally, young people and older populations are getting sick. Levine worried the finding will make Vermonters stray from getting the shot.

"There are other strains that seem to be well covered by this vaccine," said Dr. Levine.

However, what remains a mystery is how quickly the flu seemed to spread nationwide in such a short amount of time.

"The timing of suddenly covering 46 states seemed to happen in the last few weeks," said Levine "It really spread quite rapidly."

Flu-like symptoms include a fever, fatigue, cough or body aches. Levine says if you feel any of these symptoms you should see a doctor to make sure you don't have the flu.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2018 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaughinTattoo7
by Frenchy on Jan. 15, 2018 at 9:14 PM

Everyone except myself and 4 yo dd got the flu shot. Everyone has had the flu except 4 yo. And I felt better within 5 days. Everyone else has been sick for more than a week, hell dh has been in bed for almost a week

AjsMom0508
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 9:17 PM
I've never had a flu vaccine. I've also never had the flu. I rarely get sick at all. Maybe once or twice a year I'll get a cold that is gone in a couple of days.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 9:19 PM

I’ve never had a flu shot and neither have my dh or kids. I’ve only had the flu once or twice in my life and my kids have never had the flu. Flu shots are a joke. I can’t umderstand why people bother getting them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 9:20 PM
I got the flu shot. I haven’t gotten the flu. My mother did not get the flu shot. She got the flu.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 9:26 PM
My family doesn't get vaccines and while we all got that flu it was very mild. Slight fever, fatigue, cough, and aches but we could still function. I know people who have ended up in icu for it!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 9:28 PM
I get the flu shot every year never got the flu with it. I don't get the shot and end up in the hospital with it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 9:32 PM

I get the flu shot every year.  Haven't had the flu yet.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 10:07 PM

I never have had the flu shot - I'm 61, healthy, and have had the flu twice in my life (last time 36 years ago).  None of my kids (36, 27, 24 and 23) have ever had the flu shot - my youngest has had the flu once, as has my oldest, my 24 year old has had it twice, and 27 year old never.  My husband got the shot one year - it was the one year he was sick (for 2 weeks) - even though he had it and was home, none of the rest of us got it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 10:25 PM
My first thought was maybe I shouldn’t have went to Burlington today to go shopping. Time to stay away from Vermont. Dh and I never get the flu shot. My kids usually don’t either. So far none of have been sick this year. I’m hoping it stays that way.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 10:38 PM
2 moms liked this
FFS! This shit again?!

When do the tax return posts start?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)