Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cooking classes...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
So my child wants to start taking cooking classes. He asks to watch cooking videos every night before bed and gets so excited when he sees something that looks good. He loves to get in the kitchen and help me when I make dinner. And begs me to try new thing at the grocery store all the time. And he will tell anyone that asks that he’s going to be a chef when he grows up.

He asked me if I could find him a cooking class.

I found a weekly cooking class about an hour away. Its $30/wk. The class is like 2 hours long. So equal amounts of time commuting and cooking.

He is 4.

Would you do it?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2018 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 10:41 PM

I would, but I’m a chef myself and I would love it if one of my sons wanted to follow in my footsteps. But they don’t 😕

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2018 at 10:43 PM
I want to encourage it. It just feels like such a huge time commitment the evenings he would do it. Especially for such a young kid. But at the same time, I feel like it’s what he wants to do. And I should support that as long as he’s interested.

Quoting momto2boys973:

I would, but I’m a chef myself and I would love it if one of my sons wanted to follow in my footsteps. But they don’t 😕

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 10:43 PM
Heck yeah. I wanna take classes myself.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 10:45 PM
I would start with once or twice a month. Weekly is a lot to commit to.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 10:45 PM
If that what he loves now do it. Would you question putting him im soccer of that's what he loves?
If it's commitment you can keep and a class you can afford keep him learning
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 10:46 PM
No. Two hours of travel time would be a waste. Why not find a local child’s cooking class? In our small town we have cooking classes for kids at the YMCA, kids’ baking classes at the craft store, and healthy snack time cooking for kids at the public library. Surely a bigger town would have even more options. If not, you could propose occasional cooking lessons at your child’s preschool or play group.
CheerioHolder
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 10:47 PM
No, only because of the commute. I would continue to encourage watching videos, helping with shopping and cooking and even trying his own recipes. I might even consider hiring someone local to come once or twice a month and cook with him at home.

That's just me though. If you have the time to commit to taking him to cooking classes, then absolutely go ahead and do it. $15/hour for a class sounds super reasonable and I'm sure he'd love it!
Saphira1207
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 10:48 PM

no, not at 4!

maybe when he's older and can actually understand even a small amount of what's being taught I would, but not until then.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2018 at 10:48 PM
I would not be any more excited about a sport if it meant driving an hour each way once a week. That’s a lot of driving and probably an exhausted kid by the time we get home. So no... it being a sport wouldn’t change my opinion.

Quoting Anonymous 4: If that what he loves now do it. Would you question putting him im soccer of that's what he loves?
If it's commitment you can keep and a class you can afford keep him learning
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 10:49 PM

The question is...will THEY do it? Is it for his age group?

My son was like this for the longest time with cooking. It was VERY hard getting him into cooking classes. The ones for children basically sucked because they were VERY basic. The adult ones didn't really want kids, though I was able to get him into a couple when he was...11 or 12, I think.

He's finally old enough to do the adult classes with no trouble....and isn't interested anymore. :( Now it's all about cars lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)