Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She burned our house down, and now she wants her money back

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:28 PM
  • 36 Replies

*The good part of the post will be in purple*

I've been a member here for years(Back when Newcomers was the bitch group to fear). When I was a teenager, me and my now husband were pregnant and I signed up for this website. I ended up losing the baby, but stuck around for a while because I enjoyed the friendship and actually being part of a forum!

I made a new name because I didn't want any ties to my old life.

Anyway, these past two years have been HELL. After my husbands family's business was shut down because of legal discrepancies, my husband and I were pretty much pariahs in our field. We couldn't find work and we got DESPERATE because we needed insurance. My husband and I ended up getting menial jobs in retail for the coverage. He worked full time and I worked part-time. Eventually, my husband was promoted from cashier to team lead. It was going really well, but we couldn't afford the mortgage or bills, and had to give up the house. We used what little we had left in our savings to purchase a mobile home because it was much cheaper, we wanted the security of owning our home. That backfired quickly because I got pregnant like a freaking idiot and could no longer work.

**My husband sister worked at the family's business. He was actually the reason for the legal woes, which landed him in jail. My husband felt so badly that he agreed to allowing his sister to move in if she agreed to help with the rent. It was more than fair because we still covered the utilities, purchased the groceries, and me, my husband and our son shared a room, while she got her own room.

Upon moving in, we gave her a list of rules to follow. No overnight guests, no smoking, no drinking to inebriation, clean up after yourself. She AGREED to these rules and threw them right out of the window after a few months. She started drinking often, keeping the bottles under her bed, stumbling around drunkenly throughout the house, didn't clean up after herself, and snuck in overnight guests who would eat our food in the house. I told my husband and my husband spoke to her. I wanted her out because she was spiraling. Her husband was in jail, she lost everything like we did, and she was struggling. But we couldn't have that around our son and the baby on the way. Before my husband got to have the conversation, she gave my husband three months worth of rent and three hundred for utilities. We couldn't afford to turn that down!

Two days later, the mobile home burns down. Not completely. The entire back area, and about 70% of the front The room with the most damage? SILs bedroom. More specifically, the garbage. That's when SIL said she threw a cigarette in the garbage and she apologised profusely and told us to keep the money she gave us. Then, she disappeared.

The insurance company gave us pennies to repair the damages. We took the money, sold the Mobile Home for a few hundred dollars, emptied what we had left of our savings and bought an RV on Craigslist last August. We were flat broke after that, but we wanted to own our own property, and an RV gave us the ability to travel if we needed to.

It was pretty great. It's small, and a bit cramped, but it affords us the luxury to pay rent and bills, while still having enough to save up. We stocked up on DVDs(recent cartoons for my husband and I so we can actually laugh, classic movies, classic educational cartoons for the kiddies), bought a toaster oven, hot plate to cook, and bought an air conditioned fan on Craigslist and thought that was it. Then winter hit and we almost died. It was so cold that we woke up shivering! It was awful. We ended up spending a weekend winterizing the RV with blankets, foam, plastic, tape, and aread rugs for carpetting, which left us broke again.

Two days ago, SIL called and DEMANDED her money back. She told us that she needed it for her rent and bills and that if we didn't give her her money back, she's going to sue us. I told her that she owes us because she burned our freaking house down. She disagreed, told us that we better give her her money back or she's going to sue us. Now, I'm absolutely terrified. My husband isn't concerned, but I don't want to have to go through a court process. She gave us a little over one thousand dollars, and we don't have that kind of money right now.

Can she sue us? I know that one thousand isn't a lot to some of you, and a few years ago, it wasn't a lot to me either. But it is now and I'm so scared. 

by on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crumpy_gat
by No. on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:31 PM
That sn though...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this
She can try, but she probably won't, and if she does, and there's nothing in writing to prove she even gave you the money to begin with, she's shit out of luck.
happilyhomeless
by Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:34 PM
Lol I'm trying to be positive about it

Quoting crumpy_gat: That sn though...
Cajunqueenslsg8
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:34 PM
I wouldn't worry about it.
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:35 PM

Let her try....  I don't think she has a case.  Was there a formal lease?  Receipts?

happilyhomeless
by Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:35 PM
There's no proof other than me saying it here. No texts, emails, or phone calls

Quoting Anonymous 1: She can try, but she probably won't, and if she does, and there's nothing in writing to prove she even gave you the money to begin with, she's shit out of luck.
LilysMama719
by Emmy on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:35 PM
Who wound up in jail? Your dh?
happilyhomeless
by Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:36 PM
No. No receipts. No lease. She gave my husband cash and he got a money order for the rent.

Quoting jas_momof2:

Let her try....  I don't think she has a case.  Was there a formal lease?  Receipts?

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:36 PM

Can she, yes.  Does that mean she will win, no.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:36 PM
Then don't worry about it.

Quoting happilyhomeless: There's no proof other than me saying it here. No texts, emails, or phone calls

Quoting Anonymous 1: She can try, but she probably won't, and if she does, and there's nothing in writing to prove she even gave you the money to begin with, she's shit out of luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)