Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Human Services Degree

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
Anyone here who major in Human Services?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2018 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2018 at 6:35 PM
Never heard of it as a degree
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 16, 2018 at 6:36 PM
God no. Hell no. Yeah...no!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2018 at 6:37 PM
It’s like social worker type of bachelor degree.

Quoting peanutsmommy1: Never heard of it as a degree
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2018 at 6:39 PM
That’s what dh said. Lol I just need a bachelor degree for work to move up. Dh think I’m crazy if I decide to major Human Services.

Quoting Anonymous 2: God no. Hell no. Yeah...no!
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2018 at 6:39 PM
I have a BSW, it is a more widely recognized degree, why not get a BSW?

Quoting Anonymous 1: It’s like social worker type of bachelor degree.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 16, 2018 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this
It's not a social worker at all. Clinical social workers go through a lot of work to become competent and licensed in helping people work through some of life's most difficult issues. A person with a degree in human services does not have to go through this process. This is why social workers are fighting for title protection, so that other people who haven't dedicated themselves to serving others in this way won't be able to call themselves social workers. It confuses people about the valuable role of social work in society. I don't say any of this to devalue a Human Services degree, but it's purpose is different in the level of training involved.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2018 at 6:43 PM
Our state college/community is now offering bachelor program but only limited programs and they’re affordable. Another program is business admin but Human Services course seem interesting to me and considering LCSW for master degree. I wish they have psychology program.

Btw, do you like being social worker?

Quoting peanutsmommy1: I have a BSW, it is a more widely recognized degree, why not get a BSW?

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2018 at 6:44 PM
I do, though my career has mostly in the early childhood realm

Quoting Anonymous 1: Our state college/community is now offering bachelor program but only limited programs and they’re affordable. Another program is business admin but Human Services course seem interesting to me and considering LCSW for master degree. I wish they have psychology program.

Btw, do you like being social worker?

Quoting peanutsmommy1: I have a BSW, it is a more widely recognized degree, why not get a BSW?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 16, 2018 at 6:46 PM
I agree. Or get something that might make her marketable in other areas of her company because other opportunities may come her way. That's what I would do if I weren't actually interested in human services, but still needed a degree. I'd look to the future.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2018 at 6:48 PM
The school catalog states this program provide services with a foundation in general theories and principles of assessing human needs.

Quoting Anonymous 3: It's not a social worker at all. Clinical social workers go through a lot of work to become competent and licensed in helping people work through some of life's most difficult issues. A person with a degree in human services does not have to go through this process. This is why social workers are fighting for title protection, so that other people who haven't dedicated themselves to serving others in this way won't be able to call themselves social workers. It confuses people about the valuable role of social work in society. I don't say any of this to devalue a Human Services degree, but it's purpose is different in the level of training involved.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)