Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is your job?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 82 Replies
A little background: I went straight from high school to college and earned a four year degree in communications. Journalism was my specialty and after working one job out of college while waiting for one to open up in my field, I finally got a chance to work for a newspaper like I’d been wanting. Due to a series of circumstances I ended up leaving that job and although I did freelance for a while I eventually stopped writing at all. I got married, had my children and was a stay at home mom for several years until my youngest started school. That was two years ago.
Since that time I have found it incredibly difficult to find a job that is satisfactory in any way. I have worked as a preschool teacher, a substitute teacher and am now working in billing collections. I don’t mind the job and I enjoy helping people through it, but I am really searching for something that I can make a career out of at this point. Going back to writing is not an option for a couple of different reasons and I would really like to have a job that not only pays more but also makes me feel as if I’m doing something with my life other than just “working.” I understand how incredibly lucky I am to have a job considering the unemployment rates and I’m grateful but I do want to look at all my options to see where I might further my life.
Soooo..... what do all of you lovely ladies have as a career and if you have a job that you truly love, would you recommend it for someone in my situation? I’m leaning towards getting my certification as a dental hygienist or a medical assistant.

Thanks for all of the replies! You ladies sure have some interesting careers. I’m still mulling things over, but you all have given me some things to think about. 🙂
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2018 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Jan. 17, 2018 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this
A stuffy corporate office job in the city.
ninjakids
by Christina on Jan. 17, 2018 at 12:11 AM
Homecare for now.

We are in a serious nursing shortage.... and yet it’s been 2 months of looking (mind you I do nursing stuff with homecare) and I haven’t gained employment in it yet 🤬

There are postings for different rehab centres though & one for a homeless shelter that I’m hopeful about. I’m also trying to get on with children’s aid (waiting on more information) and have three more spots to give a resume to as well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 17, 2018 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this
A sitter ftom home $500/week. Stay at home mom
cakklove
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I grow cannabis legally for a producer/processor in Washington state. I love my job but eventually would like to pursue other avenues in the cannabis industry. I would not recommend it to you though. Much different situations.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 17, 2018 at 12:16 AM

Sahm of 5. I'll probably be babysitting during the summer so that will bring in a little income thats needed. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 17, 2018 at 12:19 AM
Quoting ninjakids: Homecare for now.

We are in a serious nursing shortage.... and yet it’s been 2 months of looking (mind you I do nursing stuff with homecare) and I haven’t gained employment in it yet 🤬

There are postings for different rehab centres though & one for a homeless shelter that I’m hopeful about. I’m also trying to get on with children’s aid (waiting on more information) and have three more spots to give a resume to as well.

I seriously considered nursing because I do work well with people but I’m not sure I could handle the pressure. 😬 Good luck on your search!
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Jan. 17, 2018 at 12:21 AM
2 moms liked this
I drive an ice cream truck. Pretty sure it’s not what you’re looking for.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 17, 2018 at 12:21 AM
Quoting Anonymous 2: A sitter ftom home $500/week. Stay at home mom

I would love to do that but I need insurance through work and when I did attempt to build up some business it was really difficult to get anything steady.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 17, 2018 at 12:23 AM
Quoting cakklove: I grow cannabis legally for a producer/processor in Washington state. I love my job but eventually would like to pursue other avenues in the cannabis industry. I would not recommend it to you though. Much different situations.

That’s really neat! Although you’re right, that probably wouldn’t work for me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 17, 2018 at 12:23 AM
Theres good weeks and slow weeks i do have my regulars though which is good

Quoting Anonymous 1:
Quoting Anonymous 2: A sitter ftom home $500/week. Stay at home mom

I would love to do that but I need insurance through work and when I did attempt to build up some business it was really difficult to get anything steady.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)