Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is why I wanted a senior dog!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
My kids have never been hyper. That’s just not their personalities. When discussing a dog they really wanted an English Bulldog because of their calm nature.

Between the outrageous price of a pure bred dog and future medical bills for that particular breed, I couldn’t justify getting one and we agreed to settle on a small dog from the shelter.

Knowing how my kids are I said no puppies. I suggested a senior dog but they didn’t want a dog that would die in a few years. and when I say kids, I’m including dh because he would’ve gotten a puppy if I let him.

So we settle on a 5 year dachshund. He is playful but also doesn’t mind cuddling up to just watch Tv or take a nap. He’s very dependent on the people around. If you are napping, he will nap. If you are excited, he’s up and ready to play.

My kids have taken advantage of this. They know he’ll calm down if they make him but he WANTS to play. I start playing with him and everyone gets mad that I got him riled up. He’s a dog! He wants to play and get excited sometimes. They walk him but they never want to play with him out in the yard. I don’t mind light playing in the house with the dog but they want nothing to do with his excitement.

They just want a dog that sleeps all day! I told them that a dachshund is going to want to play and explore and they were all for it.

Should’ve just got the 12 year old dog that laid his head in our lap the entire meeting.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2018 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 17, 2018 at 11:36 PM
I got a dog who was older he’s such a sweetheart.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 17, 2018 at 11:39 PM

Yeah, you probably should have.  At least you play with him.  Lesson learned.  

RocknRoll.Rose
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 11:40 PM

They don't want a pet. They want decoration. There is no point to having a pet who does nothing and sleeps all the time.  Also, I have a 13 year old golden retriever who is still very active and energetic. She runs around like a puppy, especially when there is water around. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

poietes
by Laura on Jan. 17, 2018 at 11:41 PM

Honestly, you family doesn't sound like they should have a dog. If they don't want to play or go for walks or anything they should not have a dog. Maybe a middle age cat would be more their speed. They don't need the attention that a dog does. Our lab is 12 years old, and while he is a whole lot calmer than he was as a puppy he still likes to run a play. 

Google_Me_Now
by Don’t Trust Google on Jan. 17, 2018 at 11:41 PM
I prefer older dogs myself. They’re the hardest to rehome.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 17, 2018 at 11:43 PM
I have a fourteen year old chihuahua and you would be surprised at her energy. Now don't get me wrong she loves Naptime.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 17, 2018 at 11:44 PM
We have 3 cats. My older son, the worst of them all when it comes to playing with him, insists that he loathes the cats and he *needed* a dog.

They don’t mind him walking him but that’s the limit pretty much. When they take him out to use the bathroom they let him run around for a bit but they rarely actually play with him.

It’s sad. Lesson learned.

Quoting poietes:

Honestly, you family doesn't sound like they should have a dog. If they don't want to play or go for walks or anything they should not have a dog. Maybe a middle age cat would be more their speed. They don't need the attention that a dog does. Our lab is 12 years old, and while he is a whole lot calmer than he was as a puppy he still likes to run a play. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 17, 2018 at 11:45 PM
you didn't get the wrong dog your kids are lazy. dachshunds are not that hyper to begin with
poietes
by Laura on Jan. 17, 2018 at 11:52 PM

yup, they do not need a dog. They should not have a dog, at least you will play with him. Poor thing. :(

Quoting Anonymous 1: We have 3 cats. My older son, the worst of them all when it comes to playing with him, insists that he loathes the cats and he *needed* a dog. They don’t mind him walking him but that’s the limit pretty much. When they take him out to use the bathroom they let him run around for a bit but they rarely actually play with him. It’s sad. Lesson learned.
Quoting poietes:

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Jan. 17, 2018 at 11:55 PM

Great Danes are great with kids and after the first two puppy years sleeping all day is basically their m.o. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)