Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Godfather Responsibilities?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2018 at 12:56 AM
  • 49 Replies

BF wants his best friend to be godfather... I don't have a problem with him having the title, great guy, good parent (he's also a dad). BUT, if anything were to happen to the BF and I, I would want his parents to raise the baby (BF's parents are still pretty young). So can the best friend still be be considered godfather if he won't raise baby in case of death? Or is it just a fad title to have nowadays?

by on Jan. 18, 2018 at 12:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Iguessiwasbad13
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 12:58 AM
Godfather is a religious term has nothing to do with custody of a child.
81Crystal
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:00 AM
Being a godparent is a religious responsibility. It has nothing to do with a possible guardianship.

Godparent is not a fad title. It's a custom followed by different faiths.
Mamabear34
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:09 AM

Sorry, I didn't mean fad as in fake or something. I was meaning is it a title that has little meaning nowadays (such as dowries and other older terms). Didn't mean to insult. 

Quoting 81Crystal: Being a godparent is a religious responsibility. It has nothing to do with a possible guardianship. Godparent is not a fad title. It's a custom followed by different faiths.

81Crystal
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:11 AM
I wasn't insulted.

Quoting Mamabear34:

Sorry, I didn't mean fad as in fake or something. I was meaning is it a title that has little meaning nowadays (such as dowries and other older terms). Didn't mean to insult. 

Quoting 81Crystal: Being a godparent is a religious responsibility. It has nothing to do with a possible guardianship.

Godparent is not a fad title. It's a custom followed by different faiths.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:12 AM
That’s not what god parents do. You are thinking legal guardian.

God parents helps guide the child.
Mamabear34
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:13 AM

I know what legal guardians do lol. Just in media, and in older times, we were always told god parents took the child if parents passed, hence why I asked in the first place lol

Quoting Anonymous 1: That’s not what god parents do. You are thinking legal guardian. God parents helps guide the child.

mollyk124
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:15 AM
Godparents relate to baptism.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:15 AM
Growing up i always knew Godparents took custody if something happened to the parents, i still choose mine with that in mind (all my kids have the same one) and she is aware of this agreement
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:17 AM
This

Quoting Iguessiwasbad13: Godfather is a religious term has nothing to do with custody of a child.
81Crystal
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:19 AM
I have never heard anyone say godparents are guardians in case of the death of the parents.

Quoting Mamabear34:

I know what legal guardians do lol. Just in media, and in older times, we were always told god parents took the child if parents passed, hence why I asked in the first place lol

Quoting Anonymous 1: That’s not what god parents do. You are thinking legal guardian.

God parents helps guide the child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)