Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Down time

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
How much down time do your elementary aged kids get in a day? I'm talking outside of school, homework, and extracurriculars.
My 7 year old gets almost all weekend, 4 hours Mondays, 7 hours Tuesdays, 2 hours Wednesdays, 8 hours Thursdays, and 3 hours Fridays.
My 10 year old gets basically the same.
I have people telling me this isn't enough and we need to drop some extracurriculars.
Note we homeschool so school is done at noon with no homework.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2018 at 2:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 2:17 AM
How many activities are they in?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 2:17 AM
Right now Monday-Thursday: four hours
Friday: 5 hours
Weekend: all of it

Soccer season has us at the field for two hours Monday/Wednesday then games on saturdays or sundays. My kids love playing though and are bummed when it’s winter.
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 6:41 AM
Curious as to what time your children go to bed if they have 8 hours of free time on a school day ?

Quoting Anonymous 1: How much down time do your elementary aged kids get in a day? I'm talking outside of school, homework, and extracurriculars.
My 7 year old gets almost all weekend, 4 hours Mondays, 7 hours Tuesdays, 2 hours Wednesdays, 8 hours Thursdays, and 3 hours Fridays.
I have people telling me this isn't enough and we need to drop some extracurriculars.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 6:45 AM
My kids have down time as soon as they get home until bed time and all weekend long.
Southern_Song
by Jo on Jan. 18, 2018 at 6:46 AM
All weekend and easily 1-2 hours each day. One is student council. 2 days a month until 4:30 pm. One has tutoring two days a week until 4:30 pm. Other than that nothing major. We do scouts twice a month.
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:12 AM

We homeschool as well. Mine do not finish school at noon. I have a middle schooler and elementary kiddo. They normally finish by 1-2, eat lunch, then they have Karate some days and Church on Wednesdays.  Some weeks they have Karate more than others. 

Their normal schedule: 

Monday- music school from 9-4 pm ( they each take 4 classes- band, choir, ASL and musical drama) One Monday a month my youngest has Karate from 5:30-6:15..  They get free time from the time we are home until they go to bed.

Tuesdays- school.. Karate from 4:45-8 pm 

Wednesdays- school, Church from 6:45-9 pm

Thursdays- school, Karate from 4:45-6:30

Fridays- school, Karate from 4:00-4:45 ( soon to be 5:30 once the youngest starts weapons class)

Saturday- sometimes Karate from 9-11:30 (oldest will soon have Demo team practice for a couple of hours) 

Sunday- Church from 9:30-12 ( unless we decide to stream it at home or Dh and I don't have class and then we go for 1 hour) 

Typically, Saturdays and Sundays are family days after Karate and Church. 

Mine don't have homework unless they have to read a book for a book report. They *do* have to practice for band and for ASL as that teacher gives tests though. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:18 AM
That sounds more than my kids got when they were in elementary.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2018 at 10:24 AM
Violin twice a month
American Heritage girls/ trail life
Awana
Kickboxing
Dd dances competively
Ds does a hip hop class

Quoting Anonymous 2: How many activities are they in?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2018 at 10:26 AM
They get up at 6 and are generally done with school by noon maybe a little after. So on days they don't have any activities they have 8 hours of free time.

Quoting lucky2Beeme: Curious as to what time your children go to bed if they have 8 hours of free time on a school day ?

Quoting Anonymous 1: How much down time do your elementary aged kids get in a day? I'm talking outside of school, homework, and extracurriculars.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 10:28 AM

DS doesn't have homework or extracurriculars yet so all time except for school hours is downtime. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)