Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Blended Familes. What’s your experience?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
I have two kids of my own. I divorced back in 2013 from their dad. We are still friends and he has a new wife with no kids of her own. She’s very sweet and we all get along great.

I’ve dated a man with a child for a year and half and the whole thing was just too difficult. There were too many stressors with different parenting styles, treating kids the same, and dealing with other parents. It was just hard and stressful. His daughter absolutely loved me and it’s been very hard being broken up because I miss her a lot. He said it is t healthy for me to have a relationship with her so I realize I have to let it go.

I’ve decided from here on out not to date anyone with kids. I plan to stay single at least a year before I even consider dating again if ever. What have been your experiences?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:24 AM

Dh and I are the Brady Bunch, combined we have 3 boys and 3 girls. We started dating when our daughters were 13 and the boys were 15. Same age and at times the same school and same sports team. I knew going in that step-daughter was a challenge to put it nicely, what made it work is that my dh knew that she was a challenge as well and has never made an excuse for her behavior.

Before we started dating, dh would get his kids extra time and it was no big deal. Once we started dating if we had plans and step-daughter asked dad if she could come up for the weekend he would tell her no. That was a little iffy at first but he didn't back down.

We've been married for almost 3 years now. And tbh, not any real issues. Why? I'm thinking because I am a strict mom, 3 of mine live with us. His son comes up on weekends at 20 years old. Step-daughter comes around every now and then.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:25 AM
Nothing worth posting about
StonesGirl66
by Alexandra on Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:26 AM
Sorry it didn't work out for you, but I think deciding to date childless men in the future is the best fit for you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:28 AM
We only started having issues a few years later, when we decided to have kids together. It was tough but it was definitely worth working on. I love our blended family!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:30 AM
I got divorced and a year later I thought I’d try dating. I had my dd, the guy had a boy and a girl that were around the same age (4&5). He seemed nice, treated me well, the sex was hot....but good lord were his kids awful. They were like animals, grunting and crying instead of saying what they wanted. My dd was the only potty trained child, his just went all over the place. My house was trashed, piss and shit everywhere, by the time I ended the relationship I was ready to off myself.

NEVER again.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:34 AM
Sometimes I wish that I never remarried a man with kids because his ex is batshit crazy and has caused so many problems. Even though my husband tries not to let it affect our marriage it does. I get along great with my ex and it makes me want to go back to him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:34 AM
DH is technically part of a blended family, but it never seems that way. His step siblings all live with their other parent, and he never lived with his dad who got remarried to a woman with children and had another child (half sibling to husband). Everyone is very separate. We see them once every few years.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:40 AM
Well you knew the premise of the post prior to opening it.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Nothing worth posting about
browncoat
by on Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:43 AM
It was easy for me. DH didn’t have children, and my sons birth father wasn’t involved at all. We have similar parenting styles and goals. He adopted my son after we had been married for a couple of years and had a child together.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:44 AM
Good. They live overseas.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)