Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Snow Day Drama

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

Today is our FIFTH snow day. We had an emergency early out on last Friday, because the weather was starting to get bad. Then it snowed over the weekend and all week we’ve had negative degree temperatures. Clearing the roads has been horrendous! I’ve been home with my three kids (5, 3, and 8 months) and my SS (12). DH has SS 50% of the time, and this was his week with us.

DH just called me. He said that BM just called him in a work in a tizzy, because it’s not right that SS is spending another snow day with me. She said that he owes her time, because I took SS home early on Friday. The normal switch time is 3:00pm on Fridays, but since we had an emergency early out due to weather SS just came home with me. BM was the first one who suggested that SS just ride home early with me and never mentioned making up the time. Regardless, we’ve “given up” time during similar circumstances. Stuff like this doesn’t happen often, and being inflexible and fighting over a couple of missed hours seems silly.

DH was annoyed and not interested in fighting, and told BM that she could come get SS. She got huffy again and said that she needed me to bring him, because the roads near her house were still bad. DH told her no. He said that if she wanted to come get SS she could, but I was not going to drag our kids out in the cold to drive on questionable roads because she was suddenly demanding to get SS. He said that was pretty much the end of the conversation, and he was calling me to give me a head’s up that BM might show up to get SS sometime today. He said that she was in a mood, and was on some rant about how SS should be allowed to spend his free time with her.

I think this whole thing is so annoying. SS has a cell phone, and to my knowledge, BM hasn’t even contacted him over this break. I’m also annoyed that she ‘s making it sound like we deny her the opportunity to spend time with SS, because that is something that I’ve always been understanding of. I’d say 90% of the time that BM has asked to have SS extra for an event, DH has agreed. And half of the time he doesn’t even ask her to “make up” her time. Not only that, but complaining that SS needs to spend his free time with her is a joke. During the summer, SS spends his time hanging out with me and our siblings. BM has only complained about that once, which was during the first year that DH and I were together.

I guess we’ll see what happens. Here’s hoping BM doesn’t show up with an attitude. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2018 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
left.drowning
by Fix Me on Jan. 18, 2018 at 10:23 AM
I am so glad I don't have step children.
justnosy2090
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 10:26 AM
She probably sees all the instagram perfect snow days pics and now wants her son back so she can post one lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 10:28 AM
Not every blended family behaves like this, we don’t.

Quoting left.drowning: I am so glad I don't have step children.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2018 at 10:33 AM
I don't think this is a reflection of having stepkids. My SS is awesome! He is incredibly thoughtful and loving.

I've really enjoyed these snow days, though I am anxious to get back to work.

prettymomma1204
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 10:36 AM
I love my step daughter. We all get along just fine. This would not have been an issue at all.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 18, 2018 at 10:37 AM

You are not a taxi.  If she wants hom she can come get him.  As far as her attitude I wouldn't be engaging her to even know if she had one.  If SS is old enough to have a phone he can head on out when she pulls in the driveway.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 10:41 AM
I agree with dh, if she wants him, she can come get him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 10:42 AM
We are also on day 5 of snow days. Ds has been happy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 10:45 AM
My dh's ex would do this too. I just ignore it and let her and dh handle it. There isn't much else you can do. It sucks because it's the kids that get the brunt end. I get it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)