Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We are trying out a “democratic” school this year

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
It’s the first in our area.

Basically, the students decide on the classes offered. One child comes up with an idea for a class and if others sign up, it becomes a class. If one student wants to work on something independently, there are online courses available.

There are no age groups. Students of all ages learn together. There’s a meeting every morning to discuss how the day will go.

It’s pretty neat and my kids are thriving. It’s not for everyone but my kids have always been very “school is for work” oriented so it hasn’t been hard for them to adjust.

Anyone else have one of these schools in your area? How is it working out for your family?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2018 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 12:50 PM
Interesting.
None in my area.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2018 at 12:55 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 12:58 PM

I love those schools. Sometimes they become dumping havens for boys with ADHD or discipline issues though. We have girls and have looked at a few, they would be the only girls in the schools here. 

mjande4
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:00 PM

That just sounds like a recipe for an educational disaster.  There is absolutely no way that I would put my kids in a "guinea pig" educational establishment.  Good luck with that, your kids will need it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

sounds like homeschooling but with teachers holding the structure instead of the parents

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:03 PM
My thoughts exactly. Ds just started Latin and dd French because they wanted to.

Quoting Anonymous 4:

sounds like homeschooling but with teachers holding the structure instead of the parents

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I think you are being a little dramatic. The school is new but the concept is not.

Quoting mjande4:

That just sounds like a recipe for an educational disaster.  There is absolutely no way that I would put my kids in a "guinea pig" educational establishment.  Good luck with that, your kids will need it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:09 PM
How does all ages in one class work? I have friends and family who teach. They tell me it very challenging to have so many levels (even though they're all the same age) plus special plans for sn students. They draw the line at 3 sub groups for language and math per class at my kids' school. Anymore is just not doable.
fallenangel_353
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:12 PM
Interesting. I don’t think there are any in our area.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:18 PM
So if they decide to not learn English and Math and Science?

If they start a class on sex positions?

That concept makes no sense.

Do they think this is how a job will work? To pick and choose what they want to do?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)