Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Alabama Senate passes bill to eliminate marriage licenses

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies
A bill to eliminate marriage licenses in Alabama and set up a process under which probate judges accept affidavits from couples as official records of marriage has passed the Alabama Senate.

The requirement of a ceremony to solemnize the marriage would be eliminated.

The sponsor, Sen. Greg Albritton, R-Range, said that would take the state out of any role in marriage ceremonies, which he said would properly separate church and state.

Albritton has proposed similar bills the last couple of years. They first surfaced after the U.S. Supreme Court legalized gay marriage in 2015.

Under current law, Alabama probate judges are not required to issue marriage licenses and some, at least initially, declined to issue licenses to same-sex couples after the Supreme Court ruling.

Albritton's bill would take away any discretion by probate judges. The only requirement to make a marriage official would be to submit the documents to the probate judge.

The documents include an affidavit saying that the spouses are at least 18, or at least 16 and have parental consent, are not currently married and are not related by blood or adoption.

The bill says the change would not affect any other aspects of marriage in Alabama, including divorce, child support and child custody.

The bill moves to the House of Representatives.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:01 PM
Wow! Alabama is really starting to get with the program!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:02 PM
Whaaatttt???!!?!?! Eliminate marraige? That's crazy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:03 PM
Sawheeet!
SAHMJC
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:05 PM
You know I did not know that you could not marry an adopted relative. I mean I get why you can't marry a close blood relative. It's a way to hopefully present babies born of incest. I mean people can still have sex outside of marriage but at least it's not like encouraging it by letting them get married. But I wonder why you can't within adopted relative. I mean not that I would and it certainly would be weird I just don't know why it's made illegal
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:08 PM

Bizarre. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:08 PM
Its just the court house ceremony they are getting ride of. So you can get the paperwork sign it turn it in then the judge signes ot and you are married. No standing in front of a judge saying i do.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Whaaatttt???!!?!?! Eliminate marraige? That's crazy.
HHx5
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:08 PM
Well, that’s treating everyone equally.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:09 PM
It’s not eliminating anything. It is a step toward equality!

highlandmum
by Spunky on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:12 PM

How is it a step toward equality?  A step toward equality would be allowing same sex partners to obtain a marriage license and get married in both a civil and religious ceremony.  To allow them to be called a family (legally) and have the same rights and privileges as a heterosexual married couple.

Quoting Anonymous 1: It’s not eliminating anything. It is a step toward equality!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:15 PM
2 moms liked this
This is a step in the direction of separation between church and state. You can’t have it both ways.

Quoting highlandmum:

How is it a step toward equality?  A step toward equality would be allowing same sex partners to obtain a marriage license and get married in both a civil and religious ceremony.  To allow them to be called a family (legally) and have the same rights and privileges as a heterosexual married couple.

Quoting Anonymous 1: It’s not eliminating anything. It is a step toward equality!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)