Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2lbs 9.8 ounces is not enough meat for one meal.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 165 Replies
My mom is visiting. We always blow our budget so badly when she visits. She asked if I had anything at all for dinner. I showed her these two cup portions of cooked chicken I'd shredded from a whole cooked chicken, and various portions I'd cut from a large piece of tri-tip for beef dishes. And then one bag with over two and a half pounds of pork sirloin. I thought for sure she'd go for the pork. She sighed, and said we'd have to go to the store. I said not even the pork is good enough, and she replied that's not enough meat for one meal.

ETA recommended daily dietary guidelines for us:
YDD- 1200 calories, 3oz-eq protein
ODD- 1800 calories, 5oz-eq
Me- 1800 calories, 5oz-eq
My mom- 1600, 5oz-eq
YDS- n/a (breastfed)
ODS- 1600, 5oz-eq
DH- 2400, 7oz-eq

So for my whole family plus my visiting mother, we do not need more than one pound and fourteen ounces of meat over the entire day. Let alone at just one meal.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2018 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Depends on how many people are eating. That’ll feed my family of 6 and have left overs depending on what it is.
ilovemykids323
by on Jan. 18, 2018 at 3:14 PM
3 moms liked this

i'd tell her she'd have to buy any extra food with her money we wouldn't be blowing our budget 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2018 at 3:14 PM
Three adults, four kids. Two of the kids under five.

Quoting mommyof11050307: Depends on how many people are eating. That’ll feed my family of 6 and have left overs depending on what it is.
mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this
That’s plenty as long as you have sides. She’s ve paying for more food if she doesn’t like how much I’m cooking.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Three adults, four kids. Two of the kids under five.

Quoting mommyof11050307: Depends on how many people are eating. That’ll feed my family of 6 and have left overs depending on what it is.
Curlymom234
by Flamingo lady on Jan. 18, 2018 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with your mom. That's not enough food.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2018 at 3:16 PM
She does buy a lot of groceries when she's here. It's just that we are able to keep our grocery costs very low. So even just shopping a little but for her foods blows our budget.

Quoting ilovemykids323:

i'd tell her she'd have to buy any extra food with her money we wouldn't be blowing our budget 

acrogodess
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 3:16 PM
I have a pound of London broil at home. I'm going to boil it, shredded it, season it, sautée it with onions, peppers and minced garlic and then let it simmer with some tomato sauce. We will serve that over rice with some salad on the side. It will feed three of us for 2 days.

2.5 lbs of pork sirloin would feed us for about 3 days.
I.Am.Jester
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 3:18 PM
3 moms liked this

Tell her yep, we can go to the grocery store, as long as you bring your wallet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 3:19 PM
That's really disgusting. Chicken, cow, pig. Those are your ingredients. You don't even have a single vegetable??
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 3:20 PM

There is no way that would be enough food for my house.  We go through 2lbs of meat for 3 adults and 2 kids.  

Quoting Anonymous 1: Three adults, four kids. Two of the kids under five.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)