Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You Can Ask Too

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2018 at 4:06 PM
  • 32 Replies

I have a friend who live in New York City and is Jewish, and we were talking the other day about Christianity being pushed out of public schools.  How Christian kids can't pray at games or lunch, they can't have a bible or study it in class and what not.  At least according what I have heard others say.  Anyway she made an interesting point in explaining that her parents always made arrangements with the school for her and her siblings.  Making sure they had access to kosher meals (if they didn't bring their own for home,) that they were excused for Saturday events, and other considerations made for their religious beliefs.

So I was wondering has any Christian parent ever tried this themselves?  I am genuinely curious.  I myself would try it but my ds is only in kindergarten and he attends a Catholic elementary anyway.  I think I might try and see about doing this when he reaches Middle School and attends the local public school (his elementary only goes to fifth grade).\

Also, does anyone know of any nonChristian peroical/private schools?  Such as a Jewish, Buddist, Muslim, or such based school.  Its just a thought I had in regards to this argument, that Christians might have an advantage that other faiths in the U.S. don't have. 

So if anyone has any thoughts on this I would appreciate it, I am genuinely curious and not trying to insult anyone. Honestly.

Oh, to clarify, the title is just to get readers, nothing serious meant by it.

by on Jan. 18, 2018 at 4:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 4:09 PM
Christianity has never been in public schools.
Ginger0104
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 4:11 PM

Christian kids can pray at school.  They're allowed to have Christian clubs.  The difference is the school isn't leading the prayer or groups.

razorbackfan
by BadgerMom on Jan. 18, 2018 at 4:15 PM
My kids schools allows them to pray and have clubs. Both of them each year participants in See Ya The Pole each year. My daughter is also in a Christian club at school.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 18, 2018 at 4:16 PM
Student led Christian things are allowed in public school, I think.

DS goes to a Lutheran private school, so this is a non issue for us.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 4:22 PM

I think they are different points though.

They can't stop any kid from quietly praying in class at their desk. It's when it becomes a big thing and disrupts the class that is an issue. Bible study doesn't not belong in the classroom. Why would it? Unless you're in ta private Christian school and it's part of the curriculum.

clsquirt
by Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 4:27 PM

I'm not debating that. 

To clarify, I have heard many of my fellow Christians complain about how they are supposedly having their faith and beliefs pushed out.  I have heard it claimed that Christian kids aren't allowed to have bible clubs on school grounds, but kids of other faiths are allowed to show their faith, supposedly, such as Muslim students being allowed time to pray five times a day or Buddhist children being excused from animal dissection (I have know idea if that is true, someone else claimed it).  What I am wondering is, if I consider my friend's description of her public school experience, has anyone considered to ask for this. 

For example: What if a Christian parent got the okay from their child's school of the kid to be allowed time to pray privately before sports prictice and games, or say grace befor lunch.  Keeping in mind that as a compromise the child may be asked to pray in a private place so as not to offend anyone.

Quoting clsquirt:

I have a friend who live in New York City and is Jewish, and we were talking the other day about Christianity being pushed out of public schools.  How Christian kids can't pray at games or lunch, they can't have a bible or study it in class and what not.  At least according what I have heard others say.  Anyway she made an interesting point in explaining that her parents always made arrangements with the school for her and her siblings.  Making sure they had access to kosher meals (if they didn't bring their own for home,) that they were excused for Saturday events, and other considerations made for their religious beliefs.

So I was wondering has any Christian parent ever tried this themselves?  I am genuinely curious.  I myself would try it but my ds is only in kindergarten and he attends a Catholic elementary anyway.  I think I might try and see about doing this when he reaches Middle School and attends the local public school (his elementary only goes to fifth grade).\

Also, does anyone know of any nonChristian peroical/private schools?  Such as a Jewish, Buddist, Muslim, or such based school.  Its just a thought I had in regards to this argument, that Christians might have an advantage that other faiths in the U.S. don't have. 

So if anyone has any thoughts on this I would appreciate it, I am genuinely curious and not trying to insult anyone. Honestly.

Oh, to clarify, the title is just to get readers, nothing serious meant by it.

brime98
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 4:32 PM
2 moms liked this
Any parent can make requests or arrangements with any school over religious beliefs.
The JCC here offers schooling through high school. We also have a Buddhist based charter. I think the Islamic center has an elementary school- I know there's a preschool.
clsquirt
by Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 4:32 PM

When I say praying in school, I am talking about the kind that would take time out of the school day to complete. 

I am Catholic, and as such I say payers every morning, at noon, in the evening, and at night before bed. I also say my rosary daily, say grace before every meal, and before I travel

Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Jan. 18, 2018 at 4:33 PM
Idk
SAHMJC
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not sure exactly what you would be asking for. I mean typically School related events don't usually take place on Sunday so that's not an issue. As far as I know Christians don't have a specific diet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)