Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When can kids walk home from school?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
The school is 4 blocks away. My kids are 7 and 8.

Will the school release them?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2018 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 5:46 PM
My kids school won’t allow kids to walk home until they are in 3rd grade.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2018 at 5:47 PM
My oldest is in the 3rd grade.
Southern_Song
by Jo on Jan. 18, 2018 at 5:47 PM
Here is first grade. Kindergarten must be driven or bussed unless with a sibling. Mine are on a bus.
KairisMama
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 5:47 PM
You’d have to ask the school. No one is allowed to walk where I teach or where my kids attend. This is due to there being no safe walking paths from the school campus to the neighborhoods.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 5:49 PM
In my city kids must live within 1 mile of the school to be able to walk. At those ages no they wouldn't be allowed to walk especially the 7 year old.

The child must be 10 or in th grade and they can't walk younger siblings home.
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Jan. 18, 2018 at 5:50 PM
Dd's school has mostly walkers. The school is right in the middle of a neighborhood. Even Kindergarten kids walk to and from.
MistyMoo
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 5:52 PM
My son started walking at theage of 8. I was hesitant because he had to cross one of the more major roads in our city, but he did fine and we've moved to a much quieter neighborhood. My 6 year old will be walking to school with her brother when she switches schools. Our schools allow it as long as their in grade 1 or up.
Olioxenfree
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 5:52 PM
That depends on school policy. Our school lets them start walking from kindergarten, as long as they have parental consent.
Princesitamoni
by Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 5:54 PM
Mine can walk from first grade. The school hands out a paper in the beginning of the yr asking parents the type of transportation their kids have to and from school. If your kid is a walker you just check that box and sign off that you allow the school to release them to walk home alone.
mjande4
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 5:55 PM

I'm not sure how a school can tell you which mode of transportation your kid has to use if they don't provide bussing.  I've never heard of "no walkers".  Here, and I live in the suburbs of a major metropolitan area, all the schools have walkers and there is no designated age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)